Saw tooth into op amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevecb

Hello
If I have a Saw tooth going into an op amp what should I expect for an output waveform.
I've attached a crude little paint drawing.
thanks

Attachments

• opamp saw wave.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 247
The not-inverting input of the 0V, and you have no feedback , the opamp is used as a comparator. If Vin >0V Vo = -Vcc and if Vin<0V , Vo = +VCC

If I'm following correctly since the voltage at the inverting input is more positive than at the non-inverting input then the output should be max negative.

How will that affect the wave output? Will it still be a saw tooth hitting the rails?

If I'm following correctly since the voltage at the inverting input is more positive than at the non-inverting input then the output should be max negative.

How will that affect the wave output? Will it still be a saw tooth hitting the rails?

Yes, it will be highly amplified sawtooth hitting the rails. The output signal will be clipped near the rail voltages so your sawtooth will look more like a square wave if you observe it with an oscilloscope.

Output signal will become something like this:

However, the edges may not be that sharp.

Attachments

• opA.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 194
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…