Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scared of heights...don't watch this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
I am. This gives me nightmares.

Aeroplanes are fine. Flying is fine. This freaks me out. For all the money in the World I would not do this:

Last edited:
Would you prefer to do this for a living?

LOL Inq..

I know the Video you posted above. If I had to choose I would rather do the HV inspection stuff with a Chopper pilot that knows his stuff..

Not way up in the sky and buggerall to hold on to really...that freaks me out :wideyed:

I am. This gives me nightmares.

Aeroplanes are fine. Flying is fine. This freaks me out. For all the money in the World I would not do this:

I have been up 1000 feet, I got paid well working on towers.

There was a local cell tower installation company that was advertising for tower workers in the local newspaper. The rate of pay was just above minimum wage, it ran for months in the paper. Must have been no takers.

There was a local cell tower installation company that was advertising for tower workers in the local newspaper. The rate of pay was just above minimum wage, it ran for months in the paper. Must have been no takers.
I would get hazardous duty pay for tower work, about 4 times my normal pay for every minute I was on the tower.
That tower worker job was probably ground work.

I have been up 1000 feet, I got paid well working on towers.

Jeepers, I respect your fearlessness. That stuff is not for me.

I don't know what else to say....it's not about balls...heights nail me. Petrified of up in the sky and less and less to hold on to..

I don't even want to go there. Hectic.

Right at the very top...1678 odd Feet up...and a little thin metal pole is all they have....no more metal/tower/whatever..

My mind freaks. Not for me.

Last edited:
You should have seen us putting up guyed towers with out the top guys, then things would sway like mad till we got the top guys on them.

You should have seen us putting up guyed towers with out the top guys, then things would sway like mad till we got the top guys on them.

Hiya 4pyros

This is stuff you need to share with us.

Makes for interesting reading:)

^^^You did that stuff 4pyros....high too :nailbiting:
All I can say is share, share, share.

Loads more respect for you Sir...you better let me call you Sir.
I moaned at you for calling me one. I was not worthy of the title..

You however are worthy of it. Thanks for sharing.

More please Buddy. Interesting stuff.

I look at Videos like this..and my legs go lame.

Mr tvtech

Last edited:
It always amazes me that they would "ride down" the tower guys ... looking for defects in the tower guy.

That and riding across the valley on a valley span antenna to inspect it.

Tall Tower inspectors ... are an unusual breed.

I think Iron workers are the insane bunch; I'm usually ok with heights as long as I can cling to something; once I'm free of anything I can cling to; I'm a mess.

Truth is your pretty messed up bad in a fall after 40 feet or so if you survive. An Iron worker that doesn't tie himself down and walks a beam I can't even imagine the fear; I get creeped out stepping up to a cliff.

I can't get any closer that 10 feet or so; put me on a ladder on the cliff no problem.

This is something that is beyond the scope of my imagination.

Hi KV

That is flat out Crazy..^^^

For me though..the Tower thing is a mind "warp"...for want of a better word. Just say the climbers hand slips..no safety stuff in place..

Freaky...and really really scary for me.

Actually, I should not have started the thread..

I sometimes spook myself. Just for the hell of it.

Hi KV

That is flat out Crazy..^^^

For me though..the Tower thing is a mind "warp"...for want of a better word. Just say the climbers hand slips..no safety stuff in place..

Freaky...and really really scary for me.
We were taught to have at least three points on the tower at any given time. IE one hand and two feet.
Thats why we looked so funny going up the towers and why it takes so long.
Above 300 feet or so we would need to stop and take a brakes to catch our breath.
We always had a safety line and thank god I never had to use it.

I climb ham radio towers for my ham buddies that are too old to do it (even though I'm 73). Heights never bothered me; getting into tight, underground spaces is something else. I recently climbed a 60ft tower using a new-fangled OSHA approved harness. What a piece of crap! I'll keep my old lineman's belt...

My wife has acrophobia, but yet she is a pilot, and has no trouble from the airplane...

Oh well. I am good at certain things and useless at others.

I am useless when it comes to heights.

Regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back