Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scavenging 4017s for LED chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bynari

Hi,

The project I'm working on calls for a 4017 IC. I'm wondering what common household gadget might contain such a chip. I could order one, I guess, but I'd rather see if there's anything that might be nearby that would contain one of these things.

Thanks

That brings up an interesting question. 4017s are very popular with hobbyists, mostly for LED chasers. What is the commercial market that keeps them in production?

Bynari said:
Hi,

The project I'm working on calls for a 4017 IC. I'm wondering what common household gadget might contain such a chip. I could order one, I guess, but I'd rather see if there's anything that might be nearby that would contain one of these things.

Thanks

The first time I heard a guy that order this IC.Because the IC is available in many hobbyists junk boxes.

justDIY said:
they're not in production anymore, the entire 4000 series is discontinued.

problem is: there are shipping containers full of them waiting to find buyers
I did a little looking around. Onsemi apparently still makes them. There may be others. I'm thinking that the 74HC parts may still be active, also.
So what markets/products keep them in production?

i ve seen these IC in some flashing LED light spots from china so i asume they are still in production

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back