Scope+funktion generator problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

Hi,
Sorry if this is bit stupid question to ask, but i had to ask, the matter is pretty simple but i need your opinion too about this.
so here's the deal: i have oscilloscope and funktion generator, both have earthed plugs.what i ask, is it wise or completely stupid and playing with destiny if i plug them both in my 2-place earth leaded cord? my wall jack DOESN'T have earth reference pin, and yes, i know the possible risks placing earthed device to un-earthed jack. But my concern is, should i separate them both from earth, as now they share the earth-reference on my cord? see my schematic about situation.
My worries may be stupid-hearing and exaggeration, but it confuses me bit....help appreciated
oh, and sorry if this thread is already or in wrong section in forum
https://i49.tinypic.com/233te.jpg

Both are clearly designed to have an earth connection so they should be perfectly happy sharing a common earth reference. What is of more concern, however, is that your wall jack doesn't have an earth

yes i know, it should have, but, my room doesnt have ANY earthed jacks. Some work for electrician eh?. there are earthed jacks in my house of course at kitchen, bathroom, wc and outside. so there's no harm if i reverse connect generator in my scope? i mean scopes ch1/2 test->generators earth, say, in accident? i just got this generator, for free but still dont want to destroy it by foolish things......And, the reason why theres no earth in my room, is because house is so old, law didn't require earth.....but, pretty much no excuse eh?

If you use an appliance designed to be earthed without an earth (like I've done regulalrly) then you'd be putting yourself at risk safety wise.
A better way round earthing problems is to use an isolation transformer.
Never heard of a house not having an earth, doesnt sound brilliant.

Yes, i would use isolation transformer, if i could afford it, but student budget is well, limited, and they cost in finland starting about 100€....but that is not an excuse in safety, but i'm going to add earth sockets as part of my graduation job. (if that's right term). and yeah, earth is there for a reason, so it should be there, we just blew fuse at school, because we werent informed of earth-reference at oscilloscopes, i dont want to expereince the same at home
oh, at which company? if you dont want to tell, i understand

Say you connect a BNC coax cable from the function generator to an input on the scope. The chassis of the function generator is now tied to the chassis of the scope via the shield on the coax cable. It shouldn't matter that the third prong (ground pin) on both equipments is floating because the chassis of both are already tied together.

If you plug in both equipments without a cross connection such as the coax cable in the example above, and you touch both chassis at the same time, you might feel a mild shock. If the two power cords where plugged into one outlet strip that has an internal tie between the ground prongs, even if the house wiring doesn't provide a path to earth, the potential difference that might otherwise exist between the chassis is eliminated because the two ground prongs are now connected together.

Walki, paper converters, based in Valkeakoski, we used to be managed by them a while back, theres still a sauna in our recption, it took precedence over machine breakdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…