Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SCR problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubomber

Hello all,

I would like to make a very simple circuit w/an SCR. It is my understanding that once the switch is activated the SCR gate will stay open. I have attempted to do this, but the "gate" will not stay open. I would like to use a NO microswitch and a buzzer with a 9V battery. I can get the microswitch to work, but once activated it will turn off (buzzer stop sounding) when the lever is released. I have looked online and I do not understand how come I cannot get it to work. Thanks for your help.

Please post a schematic of your circuit...
Jeff

here it is.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Hello all,

I would like to make a very simple circuit w/an SCR. It is my understanding that once the switch is activated the SCR gate will stay open. I have attempted to do this, but the "gate" will not stay open. I would like to use a NO microswitch and a buzzer with a 9V battery. I can get the microswitch to work, but once activated it will turn off (buzzer stop sounding) when the lever is released. I have looked online and I do not understand how come I cannot get it to work. Thanks for your help.
What kind of buzzer do you have? What is the SCR part number? Do you have a datasheets on them? If the steady-state buzzer current is less than the SCR holding current, the SCR will not stay latched.

because i didn't see that you had asked what the voltage was. plus the voltage is on the 1st post- 9 volt battery. i do not have the spec sheet for any of the items.

The buzzer may draw an ac current which goes to zero for each cycle which could cause the SCR to shut off. Placing a small cap across the SCR should help if that's the case.

Also, the minimum holding current of the SCR is 30mA. The current through the buzzer, with 8V (9V - SCR saturation voltage) across it, is about 30mA. If the capacitor alone doesn't solve your problem, try adding 470 ohms across the buzzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back