Scraping electric typewritters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
Our school is scraping a lot of electronic junk including electric typewriters. I think they are Selectric's. I imagine they must have a decent motor to drive the head/ball/whatever across the page. Maybe the solenoid that strikes the letter.
Is there anything else that I should look for in these old beasts.

EDIT: No I do not want to do the bit where you convert them to a printer.....

Last edited:
I am not sure what to all look for, but i might be getting a few old electric typewriters from a local school district, as well. I was hoping they would be full of goodies.

I did the Selectric-to-printer trick many, many years ago. Mine were actually from an IBM "word processor" with a tape console the size of a two-drawer file cabinet. The typewriters had solenoids built in to trip the bails, so all I needed to do was make a printer port-to-IBM Selectric decoder circuit, and write an assembly language driver for my TRS80 III. There isn't really anything electronic in them. Each key tripped one or more bails that tilted and rotated the type-ball and started one cycle of the motor to print one character.

Mostly you'll have one motor and lots of springs.

Ken

We scraped out 4 or 5 of them today. 4 of them were made by sharp. Not a lot of useful stuff. Good size transformers with a few secondaries. I left the motor head carriage assembly's intact. If I have 4 of them they may work as the X Y for that mythical CNC drill I have been thinking about. These rods are much thicker then the printers I have been scrapping.

Are you scraping them, or scrapping them?....
Sorry, 3v0, couldn't resist.
The mental image if scraping typewriters tickled me.

Are you scraping them, or scrapping them?....
Sorry, 3v0, couldn't resist.
The mental image if scraping typewriters tickled me.

LOL hey a spell checker only goes so far ! that would be scrapping
Hell I could never spell. In the days prior to spell checkers there were young ladies to do that They would have caught that.

Hell I could never spell. In the days prior to spell checkers there were young ladies to do that They would have caught that.

So you can't spell, and your a chauvinist

So you can't spell, and your a chauvinist

I wouldn't put it that way... afterall the general rule of the other 1/2 is ya keep em barefoot and preggers and chained to da kitchen sink so some spell checking could fill da void....

I wouldn't put it that way... afterall the general rule of the other 1/2 is ya keep em barefoot and preggers and chained to da kitchen sink so some spell checking could fill da void....

my other half is included in that statement
although he has failed abt the preggers bit so far lol
but I dont mind him "practicing" lol

Last edited:
hi Karen,

Is it true when they say, when a woman first meets 'the' man,

"she sinks into his arms and after a few years of marriage, she finds herself upto her arms in his sink.?"

When I saw it that other post how you described handling those potentially dangerous chemicals, I dont I would upset you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…