Sealed SMD parts bags. Moisture

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
Just getting into SMDs.

Some parts come in bags sealed to protect them from moisture. They do not fit in my storage drawers.

Can the parts be removed from these bags if they are not going to be mounted with solder reflow or wave methods? They may be solder with an iron, toster oven, or fry pan (as on sparkfun).

Is it ok just to move them to new bags and reseal them?

witch bags? small casings to hold them just so that they wont disappear into cracks on your table? my SMD stuff needs no protection at all (at least not on board) just protection from disappearing

If the moisture content of the part is too high, it can expand during soldering and damage the part. The larger the part, and more humid the climate, the greater the risk. Iron, toaster oven, and frying pan all expose the parts to rapid temperature gradients.

If you're concerned, the parts can be baked (maybe about 80c) for several hours before soldering them.

If the new bags are moisture sealed and you pack the desiccants along with the parts, there should be no problem.

mneary said:
If you're concerned, the parts can be baked (maybe about 80c) for several hours before soldering them.

If the new bags are moisture sealed and you pack the desiccants along with the parts, there should be no problem.

Thanks a bunch. Will repack with desiccants packet.

Hi 3v0,

Try sealing them again without opening them and cut off the
excess plastic. ( You're gonna have to steal something from the
kitchen.)

on1aag.

Hi on1aag,

on1aag said:
...You're gonna have to steal something from the
kitchen.

A while back I purchased a Daisy Seal a Meal from the thrift store for making anti-static bags that fit my storage drawars.

Open the first bag and then resealed it. Till I have too many to deal with I am going to keep em in a marked box.

I am still amazed when I unpack an order from Newark. They use about twice the packing that the others do. They managed to run this one up to 6 lbs.

There are a number of people here who have made made the transition to SMD but it still seems like a large leap to me.

The transition is pretty smooth after a few projects.

I loved the reaction to one of my first SMD projects... we needed some simple audio processing for an on-stage effect. It was a few opamps, transistors, and assorted passives. Sure, the stage techs would have been impressed even if it was all DIPs and big resistors.

But I made it to fit on the back of a phone plug. You built that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…