Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seeking replacment old switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I've just been incredibly lucky and bought a Cossor CDU150 'scope for 99p from eBay. It was sold as parts or not working, nobody else wanted it :D

So anyway, turns out it needs a couple of slide switches replacing. Since these are pretty old, they have strange measurements.

So can anyone help me locate (or do you have a couple in your junk box?) the following:

Standardish size DPDT slide switch, pcb mounting pins, plain untapped panel mount lugs (a metal slider is fastened to these in the scope) with 1/8" holes. Mounting lug centres are 1" apart, possibly 26mm. Pin spacing same as modern switches - about 4mm. Less important - body width 7/16" or 10mm, slider 3/8" or 9mm, body height 1/4" or about 7mm. I need two.

Modern switches seem to all have 28mm centres on the panel lugs, which is too wide, and no pcb pin/panel lug combination. I don't mind modifying them, but I'd rather have ones like the originals.

I replaced one of these with a push on push off audio switch by making a little bracket - see photo, but the other one failed somewhere along the way, and I'd like to use correct type switches.

It also needs some 4BA pan head screws since someone lost all the ones out of the bottom of the case at some time...

Oh and my world would be complete if someone can help me find a probe clip for it. Supposed to be 2, only one in the box.

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 222
Indeed there are many switches with the combination of mounting I need, but none with 1" apart holes! Oh well, out with the needle file...

It may seem a silly question but have you tried contact cleaner (with or without lubricant) ?

I've rejuvenated many of these switches with the stuff - spray it into the innards, operate the switch a few times and blast it out with some compressed air. Repeat a few times and often the switch is as good as new.

I actually used WD40 on the switches first of all. It revived the one that's still in place. The clicker didn't work on the other one, so I took it out and took it apart to fix that. Fixed clicker OK, but sliding contacts fell to bits, hence the replacement. Got some Servisol 10 on order.

The tube ht will not like wd40, make sure you keep it away from this.
I have a telequipment 'scope with rotary switches and servisol doesnt revive this either, I think the contacts can get so tarnished its near impossible to get them back.
If you elongate the holes in a new 28mm switch, then cut the tabs with the threads in off the old switch you can use them as slideable nuts on the new one.
Yes I have done this before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back