Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seeking small(.1875") electrical contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

buurin

Ive been on the search for a couple of weeks now and have found nothing.

I am seeking some small electrical contacts. Ideally triangular in shape but square/rectangular will also work.

The square size should not exceed .375"

Copper, Aluminum, whatever as long as its reasonably conductive.

Ideally the thickness of the contacts would be something along the lines of a soda can.

I was considering getting a hole punch and attempting to punch the contacts out of a thin copper sheet but I need a lot (1000+) of these things so its not very practical.

So if you have any suggestions for what I could use it would be very much appreciated

Thanks
B

I dont quite follow what you are looking for? do you possibly have a picture of a similar product?

I am looking for a piece of conductive metal measuring no bigger than .375" square.

I have no link to anything similar but imagine using a hole punch on a soda can... I am seeking the punched out hole that would normally be discarded.

buurin said:
Ive been on the search for a couple of weeks now and have found nothing.

I am seeking some small electrical contacts. Ideally triangular in shape but square/rectangular will also work.

The square size should not exceed .375"

Copper, Aluminum, whatever as long as its reasonably conductive.

Ideally the thickness of the contacts would be something along the lines of a soda can.

I was considering getting a hole punch and attempting to punch the contacts out of a thin copper sheet but I need a lot (1000+) of these things so its not very practical.

So if you have any suggestions for what I could use it would be very much appreciated

Thanks
B
Any contacts used for batery holders? (if I haven't made mistakes ...I use metric sistem:D ). At 1000Pcs ..any small sized company that makes them wil deliver at a low price. Use metal ribbons and cut them with a cisel.

I looked at the battery holder tabs... My concern with them is availability, cost, and the simple fact that they are not flat. I could see going with this solution as a worst case scenario.

On the topic of making my own....

I found these copper sheets which come in 12"x12" sheets:
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?step=2&id=93

Now my question is how would I cut a the sheet consistently and/or cleanly?

From my calculations, i should be able to get 4000+ pieces(.1875" square) per sheet!

12" / 0.1875" square pieces = 64
64 * 64 = 4096

Ideally I'd like something premade... I'm just preparing for a worst case scenario.

Thanks for the suggestions

buurin said:
I looked at the battery holder tabs... My concern with them is availability, cost, and the simple fact that they are not flat. I could see going with this solution as a worst case scenario.

On the topic of making my own....

I found these copper sheets which come in 12"x12" sheets:
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?step=2&id=93

Now my question is how would I cut a the sheet consistently and/or cleanly?

From my calculations, i should be able to get 4000+ pieces(.1875" square) per sheet!

12" / 0.1875" square pieces = 64
64 * 64 = 4096

Ideally I'd like something premade... I'm just preparing for a worst case scenario.

Thanks for the suggestions
Cutting them square should not be much of a problem. I have a 12" shear that is used in the engraving trade or maybe a paper shear would do. Set the stop guide to 3/16" and cut the sheet into strips. Then prepare a sheet of cardboard with spray adhesive and place all the strips on it, side by side and cut across one more time. Hopefully each stroke of the handle should produce 64 perfect pads.

If these are going to be folded to provide spring contacts copper is probably not the best choice as it is very easily bent and provides limited spring ability so the possitive contact degrades over time. Stainless steel might be a better choice overall as it's relativly easy to shape as long as the thickness is low, provides decent conductivity and more importantly is corrosion resistant

No spring action required...

Still seeking something premade and/or easier to make consistently

CRazy ideea but might work. Trace some squares on the coper plate and submerge it in Ferric Chloride. Use a cardboard or plastic sheet whit squares cut in it and spray, put it on the coper sheet and spray some paint soluble in...something. Trace squares on both sides!!

Copper foil (sometimes used as EMI tape) is pretty easy to deal with and solder. Some come with conductive adhesive as well. Sometimes it's available in the gardening section of local hardware stores.

The standard way of building cheap contacts is to just use a PC board, or chop up some prototype board (that has pre-etched pads). It won't meet your thickness requirements though.

I found an image of what I am looking for but they have not responded to me and they are in China

The image is here: **broken link removed**

Any ideas of where I can obtain something similar (and preferably square)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back