Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seminar tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabhishek91

:(
Today as usual there was seminar in my college. One of my classmates was giving presentation on QR code. It was interesting topic and his presentation was good.

He generated QR code for my college website and made it worked (None of my classmates took efforts to do so.) As a token of appreciation i started to clap.(I did not interrupted him. He was not talking at that time. He was showing the results. None of my friends did. Most were not listening to the presentation and some were jealous:mad:. ).

My teachers started scolding me about that.:(
I told them that it was just a appreciation.

Was that wrong ? Is it wrong to appreciate the effort taken by him. In my view, Appreciating and supporting the presenter feels them good and encourages them to do much more better.

Please reply whether i was wrong or right ? :confused:
I need your help very badly.:(

Sounds to me that those who scolded you are a tad uptight, for some reason.

Unless there is a cultural reason for not clapping except at certain times in a presentation, then I would think that your show of enthusiasm was completely appropriate.

Not everyone dances to the same music...

Sounds to me that those who scolded you are a tad uptight, for some reason.

Unless there is a cultural reason for not clapping except at certain times in a presentation, then I would think that your show of enthusiasm was completely appropriate.

Not everyone dances to the same music...

Thanks for your reply sir.

"Not everyone dances to the same music"- That's true sir

I agree with Cowboybob. And add that for most academic and scientific presentations, clapping is reserved for the end. When I was in college, we would even clap for some professors following the last lecture at the end of a course.

In other venues, such a political speeches, it is common to clap at pauses during the presentation.

I would not consider what happened a tragedy. Come Monday, I doubt the teacher will even remember it.

John

I agree with Cowboybob. And add that for most academic and scientific presentations, clapping is reserved for the end. When I was in college, we would even clap for some professors following the last lecture at the end of a course.

In other venues, such a political speeches, it is common to clap at pauses during the presentation.

I would not consider what happened a tragedy. Come Monday, I doubt the teacher will even remember it.

John

Thanks for boosting my confidence sir.
I sincerely thank this forum and all the seniors who dedicate their time to help the younger generation both Technically and Non-technically.

John

Fully agree, in every academic talk I have experienced, clapping (and questions for that matter) is reserved for the end.

But do not worry about it!

For the most part, my "day job" consists of presenting training courses on various topics relevant to the oil industry.

A UK/European audience will never clap, they my say that is was good, but always in a reserved way.

I was once advised (by an Australian) that the Australians will never say anything if it is good, but will certainly tell you if it is bad!
One Auzzie did say "good course" as he quickly departed, so that one must have been a success!

Asians (Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Koreans, Malaysians etc) are quite prone to clapping at the end of my presentations.
Took me by surprise the first time it happened.

So my advice to Rabishank would be, if you think it was good a short restrained applause at the end should be in order.
Don't do it to excess. I am thinking here about the Jack Nicholson character in the film "The Witches of Eastwick", the part at the end of the musical recital.

JimB

Thanks for boosting my confidence sir.
I sincerely thank this forum and all the seniors who dedicate their time to help the younger generation both Technically and Non-technically.

Hi abhishek91

You are blessed with more intelligence than those trying to put you down.

Stick on the path you are on. Never let go Tiger.

Regards,
tvteh

FWIW I too never cared for most social rules and what not. If its good I let them know. :D

If its crap and everyone claps I could care less.

Right now this world has too many pomus crap clapping buffoons that can't recognize good truthful scientific information that is right in front of them anyway. :p

Go ahead and give the guy some praise for good work done. He deserves it!;)

Hmm, this thread looks awfully familiar ;)

(The OP is also registered over at AAC and submitted an identical thread :D)

For the most part, my "day job" consists of presenting training courses on various topics relevant to the oil industry.

A UK/European audience will never clap, they my say that is was good, but always in a reserved way.

I was once advised (by an Australian) that the Australians will never say anything if it is good, but will certainly tell you if it is bad!
One Auzzie did say "good course" as he quickly departed, so that one must have been a success!

Asians (Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Koreans, Malaysians etc) are quite prone to clapping at the end of my presentations.
Took me by surprise the first time it happened.

So my advice to Rabishank would be, if you think it was good a short restrained applause at the end should be in order.
Don't do it to excess. I am thinking here about the Jack Nicholson character in the film "The Witches of Eastwick", the part at the end of the musical recital.

JimB

This is what i wanted. Thank you so much. Got to know the diversity of culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back