Sending video over twisted pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletech

I want to build a circuit to send a signal from a CCTV cameras BNC output to twisted pair and at the other end convert back to BNC for the monitors input. I have a cat5E wire ran between the two, but no coax. It would be too difficult to pull in new wire. I know they make these converters or baluns that you put at each end, but I don't know what is inside them. I also know that they require no additional power source. I guess they are line powered. I can't find a circuit anywhere. Can someone please help?
I want to build it myself instead of buying it.

Since nobody answered, I decided to try it without any balun. I soldered an RCA plug at each end of the twisted pair, plugged it in and it worked without anything else. I don't know why, but here is what I have...the camera is plugged into a fiber options transmitter, which is connected to a fiber optics cable and runs approx. 1500' feet, it then is connected to a fiber optics receiver, that is where the twisted pair comes in and it runs about 100' to the t.v., I then plugged the RCA plug into the video port on the t.v. Can anyone tell me why this works without the baluns?

Why not? The UTP impedance 100ohm, the input and output is 75ohm. Unmatched, but work sometimes properly (depending from distance).
Sometimes ghost-picture, shadows appeared.

As Sebi says, the mismatch isn't too great - you can buy cameras for burglar alarm systems, they just use the standard 4 or 6 core alarm cable for both power and signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…