Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

senkronize

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalaman

MOSFET Driver

Hello,
I would like to drive a synchronous two mosfets which work as buck converter. The pwm source is a PIC mcu. How can I drive properly without a IC.

Regards

Last edited:
My pwm freq: 100Khz

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 129
You don't say which PIC you are using, but the PIC16F684 can drive FETs in a half bridge configuration. You will still need to level shift the signal for Q1. The hard part is going to be adjusting the dead time between FETs. The 16F684 has a adjustable dead timer built in.

Hi Kchriste,
Thank you for reply.
I have not even see that chip. But how can I level shift the signal ?

Regards

The simplest way without an IC is to use a transformer. I'd just use an IC designed for this application. It'll save you some headaches.
If Q1 was a P channel device, you could possibly use a capacitor, resistor and diode clamp combination.

Thank you for reply. What do you think about IRLZ44 ? Its gate needs 5V. Can I work 16f684 and IRLZ44 for half bridge?
Regards

You'll still need to level shift the gate drive for Q1 so that the gate is 5V higher than the source terminal when the FET is turned on.
I've used the IRLZ44 singled ended with the 16F684 like this:

Attachments

• IRLZ44.GIF
    IRLZ44.GIF
    6 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back