Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensitive CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMOS technology is based upon enhancement type mosfets, which r common mosfets with no pre existing channel. A mosfet, or metal oxide semiconductor has a layer of metal (which serves as gate) which is insulated from the semiconductor by a thin layer of silicon dioxide, SiO2 (hence the name, Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor: MOSFET).

It is the oxide layer that is sensitive to ESD, it cracks, shorting the gate metal with the semiconductor, turning the mosfet into something like a BJT. BJTs r made to handle current while mosfets r not, so excessive current flowing through the device causes it to blow up. (This may not be very accurate an account of what happens but this is the principle behind it all).

I have been using many Cmoc IC's for about 30 years and there is a lot of static electricity here in Canada in winter. I don't use grounding straps and have never damaged one.
Their sensitive inputs are protected with clamp diodes that aren't big enough to arrest a lightning bolt or strong static arc but they do their job very well. About the only precaution I use is to discharge my body's static first before touching a Cmos IC. :lol:

touch/connect to earth

Whenever I am working on my PC I leave it plugged in and turn off the ATX at the rear.
That leaves the earth connected to the case.
IF I built up charge on my in touching the case I discharge myself, IF I then strapp myself in I am tied to earth

For electronics work I have an ESD plug which is just two plastic prong going into LIVE and NEUTRAL but metal going into teh EARTH pin. Then there is a 4mm socket on the front for me to jack into (as well as a mat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back