Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensor help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawadlateef

Hi all
I am trying to make an outdoor robot which avoids obstacle through its sensors.
can you guys tell me which sensor would be the best choice.
IR may produce unknown results i guess what about you? i have also tested one of the circuit given but this has produced no result plzz help me out ASAP.

Your budget and the type of environment are big factors, too. If I had the cash, I wouldn't mind trying out one of these:
https://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R283-HOKUYO-LASER1.html

I think the coolest solution, and most likely a less expensive hack than the laser solution above, would be a pair of stereoscopic video camera eyes that compare their images as the robot moves around. Sorry, but that's a little beyond my level of expertise, although I know it's been done.

Ultrasonic range finder for distance measurement.
https://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28015
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/10/28015-PING-v13.pdf
There are many different devices like this. It measures distance to 3 meters. Mount one on a rotating head. Measure distance, rotate 10 degrees, measure, rotate etc. You really only need to measure over a 180 or maybe 90 degree angle. The resolution will be low but I think your robot will not walk into trees.

Look at the second link. Page 5 shows a +/-7 degree viewing angle on flat objects. It takes 20mS for a measurement. You could see 360 degrees 50 measurements 7 degree resolution in 1 second.

I like and already know these parallex and other type of modules but the problem is that these are not available in Pakistan.
I have a pair of ultrasonic tx and rx which i tested using 7555 but no results.
can you have any good circuitry which is tested, to be made in a short span of time. plzz do let me know.
thanking you

Google for ultrasonic and PIC micro. There is a fair amount of info out there that will get you started, depending on your sense distance you could use a 'feeler' set up connected to micro switches or sprung loaded variable resistors. Low tech but reliable.

halo

jawadlateef said:
Hi all
I am trying to make an outdoor robot which avoids obstacle through its sensors.
can you guys tell me which sensor would be the best choice.
IR may produce unknown results i guess what about you? i have also tested one of the circuit given but this has produced no result plzz help me out ASAP.
hi!!! can you tell us about your project? if thats okay to you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back