Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Port (3.3V CMOS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everybody.

I would like to ask a question regarding serial ports on a board.
I am reading the specs of one in particular and it says:

CON2 Serial Interface RS232C
CON3 Serial Interface 3.3V CMOS

among others (USB, etc)

Now I know that RS232 is the standard for serial ports but what do they mean by 3.3V CMOS?

I ve never heard a type of serial port named like this. Anyone can enlighten me about this?

Thousand thanks in advance

Kansai

what do they mean by 3.3V CMOS
I am using some CP2102 USB<->serial devices. These run internally at 3.3 Volts and only output signals at 0V and +3.3V not the voltages specified in the RS232 spec. So far as "CMOS" goes, I expect that is meant to imply they won't drive a standard TTL load, just a lower powered CMOS input.

The RS232 serial standard is inverted and has voltages in the range of +/- 25V. The '0' is e.g. +10V and the '1' might be -10V.
The 3V3 CMOS or TTL serial use non-inverted signalling, i.e. a '0' is 0V and a '1' is 3.3V (in the case of 3.3V CMOS).

Tagging on:

Modern "CMOS" output port pins can source >20mA when high and sink >25mA when low.

TTL ports can only source 400uA when the pin is at 3.5V (even though Vcc=5v), and sink 16mA when low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back