Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Port Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho-path

How do I send information from the computer to a serial port connector?
One of these things:
**broken link removed**

I know some basic C++ so using that would be easier.

p.s. Do you know any tutorials on using these things(searched google)?

Those links are great, but they are simply too advanced and not practical enough for a beginner like me. I really am a beginner so I need something to get me started. I'll give an example. How would I get the computer to turn on an LED via the serial port connector? I would have to know how to send the right data to the port, and how to hook everything up(although thats the easy part).

ps Would assembly be a better language for things like this? Do you know any simple tutorials? There don't seem to be many tutorials and they are all too advanced.

Last edited:
Ok if you like to do that then take a look at **broken link removed**(PArt2) and **broken link removed**. Its the very basic and simple. HOwever, turning an LED on/off with serial is not really easy. If you notice beyondlogic says the same thing. Serial is more complicated then parallel port.

Anyway, here are some pics:
**broken link removed****broken link removed**

Dont forget to read the tutorials!! :D

Good luck

Hi,

The simplest method is to use a 'null modem' cable, the cable terminations have the TXD and RXD pins crossed so that sending and receving can be done.

You can use hyperterminal program to communicate/send files between two PCs linked with a null modem cable.. Its actually very simple...

thanks
ar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back