Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serious Craigs list score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Found an add in Craigslist for someone cleaning out their basement. Net parts was 6 inkjet printers, 1 scanner, a NiCad/NiMH charging station, half a dozen associated power supplies and cables.

The really cool bit was the guy was getting rid of some stuff his late father had, an NRI training kit manual, and a Conar Intsrments panel meter that's 6 inches wide by 4-1/4.
The manual looks like a home schooling manual, dated from 77 (the year I was born) The panel meter is in mint condition. There was a large power supply associated with it, the transformer alone should prove useful, although I'm a little wary of it being 30 years old the insulation looks a little parched.

The meter alone I'd never be able to find on the market, and it looks like something fresh off the press. Made in the USA. I'm going to replace the marking backsplash and use it as a bench meter. Asuming of course we close on the house.

I'm going to become VERY constructive very soon =>

He lived less than 2 miles from me, and he has MORE =P
I almost cried when he told me he'd recently had someone pick up an osciliscope for scrap... and I mean that I had to choke back the tears, I don't care if it was a 30 year old 1mz scope, I don't have one now and even the parts would have been worth it. Seems liked a good guy in a rough spot with family clearing out the house, I'll have to call him back up tomorrow and offer to help move organize some stuff for him to get rid of.

Nice find and since you did me a favor and sold me that TI calculator last spring on the cheap how about I return the favor and give you my old Sencor PS148 single channel O scope?

Granted its tube drive and only has a 500 K top range however it does still read wave forms cleanly to over 5MHZ as shown. I kept it up well but it may need a cleaning and a few new pots being a few are getting scratchy.

What it comes down to is I picked up a newer 40 MHz dual channel recently and the old O-scope needs an appreciative home. ;)

Would cost of shipping for 25 Lbs from 58781 put the hat on your snowman for you? :)

DCP02269.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah - Craigslist is a great way to find old (and not-so-old) electronics; earlier this year I picked up a Tek 2213 for $150.00. Another great place to look is at hamfests; if you are willing to get up and go at the buttcrack of dawn (sometimes in the winter!) - you can find some really awesome deals (and more than a few rips, too, unfortunately)...

I also have to say the tcmtech's offer is awesome; I hope the OP takes you up on it - it looks like a pretty nice scope...

The old Sencor has been around for a while. I acquired it about 8 - 10 years ago from a guy who upgraded and knew I would appreciate having it and could put it to good use. Originally I had to do a bit of clean up and tuning to get it functional but it has served me well over the years.

In a way I am just offering to pass it along to someone else who might appreciate it for a while longer. Its not high end by any modern standards but it does what its supposed to well enough to be worth having around.

I have a few old tube-type tek's cluttering up my place. As they haven't been fired up in about 10 years, I doubt they will work without at least a good cleaning. They are available to anyone who seriously wants to try to make the repairs.

Last edited:
I have a friend that hooks up with a few landlords and cleans out houses and buildings that have been vacated by their tennants. Often he gets to keep a majority of what's been left behind. Thus far I've netted a heavy duty Rock Island machinist's vise (a very stout vise- far better than Columbian and some others), a Reed wood worker's vise, a 10" bandsaw, a 60 watt vacuum tube McIntosh amplifier (vintage 1958), Harmon Kardon 60 watt tube amp, Univox 25 watt guitar amp, Ampeg 50 watt guitar amp, old Rickenbacher tube guitar amp, Altec Lansing tube preamp, Tektronix tube oscilloscope (works), vacuum tube tester, Astatic D104 desk mic, SnapOn ratchet wrench, automotive battery tester/carbon pile, 2-ton floor jack, gas powered weedwhacker, a sizeable collection of various 12v automotive lamps. Some of it I sold, some I've kept. The McIntosh amp is worth a bundle today-- handmade in 1958 and often sells for a few hundred to several hundred $$$.

tcmtech you would much help by sending me that scope, box it up, I'll give you shipping information collect within the next couple days, UPS.

That will work for me. I have to go to town Friday so I can ship it out then or next week which ever works for you.

We close on our house the middle of next month, I will be activly trolling Craig's list for that kind of stuff after then now that I'll have the space for it =P. Even if it doesn't work the raw materials of the housing and the discrete components inside allow an experimenter to feed his hobby for virtually nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back