Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sharing an RS-232 transmit line with a pushbutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

I am using a micro stamp (BS2) to monitor an RS-232 input and then perform certain functions based on the input data received. It never needs to transmit serial data. The circuit does have a push button that will provide the +V input as an output (through a 10K resistor) when pressed.

I only have 5 pins that I can use (on an M12 connector). The entire circuit will be encapsulated in a potting compount.

During normal operations, this is enough for +V, Rx, Gnd, and the pushbutton output. However, I would also like to be able to reprogram the processor which requires the Tx line and the DTR (ATN) lines--which makes 6.

Because I only have 5 pins available on my connector, I would like the pushbutton output line to serve double duty and be used as the RS-232 Tx line during programming (and I will not press the button during this time).

How do I protect the idle RS-232 output from any effects from +V being applied by the pushbutton. I at first thought of using a diode but remembered that RS-232 generates +/- 12 volts and so that would not work.

I would have two different cables--the normal cable (no pin 5) and a special programming cable (that has the DTR signal connected to pin 5). Of course, pin 2 will be common to the pushbutton and the Tx line respectively.

One more thing... I have almost no room on the board. I.E., no room for a RS-232 transceiver dip.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dale

It makes more sense to piggy back the push button on the RX line. Set it up so that pushing it generates a break condition which you should be able to detect in the status register for the UART.

Build a 2nd board with the RS232 level shifter on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back