short in voltage and ground in electro-devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenwhite

I hv a rotary encoder which cost 500 bucks. After doin some test, just realize the voltage and ground is shorted. What can i do ...

Perhaps you could expand on the model or part # of the rotary encoder as well as how you came to the conclusion that it has a short. What symptoms are you experiencing? Do you have a schematic of how you have it implemented? What is your supply voltage? What are the specs?

If you have a defective part and otherwise had the circuit correctly figured, it seems like a $500.00 part should have some kind of warranty. BTW, why in the world is this encoder so expensive?

Test by multimeter, supply is DC 5v to 24 v. But i normally use 5v supply voltage and it would be the input for microcontroller. The encoder price is expensive -.- Maybe the accuracy is extremely high.. Have u faced any problem like this, electronic device short circuit between voltage wire and ground wire. I have no idea what to do but cry.. Thx for the reply anyway ..

Actually the picture is like this ..

**broken link removed**

Blue A, White B, Yellow Z, Red +v, Black 0v

When i use multimeter test the red and the black wire, it will give a sound "titi" means it is connected. It shud not give this problem ...
Thx ..

Is that the exact make and model of your encoder? How are you using you multimeter? Are you measuring the resistance on an "OHMS" range. Are you using a "continuity" setting that gives an audible tone if the resistance is below a certain value? If using an OHMs range, does the indication change if you reverse the polarity of the leads connect to the encoders red and black wires?

Ken

Last edited:
As KMoffet is indicating, your supply power will be connected to zero volts through an LED in the light interrupter component of the encoder. If you are reading forward bias through the diode the resistance might be quite low through the LED. Perhaps if you provide the exact part number for this device we can reference a data sheet and find a clue as to the normal condition that should be expected.

I looked at the datasheet and under normal operation the overall impedance of the circuit would be too high to cause a continuity tester to beep. However, A forward bias resistance of less than a K Ohm wouldn't surprise me. Also, there is no indication of the internal circuit other than the output on the datasheet. There may well be other diodes or solid state components internally that would fool you under reverse or forward biasing.

Have you actually connected this device to a power supply and tested it under operating conditions?

Yes, I use multimeter to test it with ohm mode. And both polarity give me the same result. That is "ti" sound.

In addition, I have two sets of this rotary encoder circuit and one of them is working.

Yes, I did. It s the reason tell me it is not functioning well. "There may well be other diodes or solid state components internally that would fool you under reverse or forward biasing." Is it possible that internal components fool me in both situation? Anyway I hope it is fooling me instead of it spoil.

If it isn't functioning and you have another device that is of the same make and model that works, then you obviously have damaged it some way, or received a defective component from the manufacturer.

If you can't get a warranty refund, you may be able to take the encoder apart and locate the internal failure if a discrete component can be isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…