Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Showing SEPIC capacitor overvoltage spikes on scope...need diff probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,

Please assist in measuring short term overvoltages on my SEPIC capacitor......

SEPIC capacitor is 22uF, X7R, 1812, 16V

I have done a SEPIC converter.
Max output power = 5W.
Input voltage = 5 to 8.5V
Output voltage = 5V or 40V (depending on luminaire)
Switching frequency = 40KHz to 110KHz
Constant off time control

The SEPIC coupled inductor is coilcraft MSD1583-473
https://www.coilcraft.com/pdf_viewer/...re:msd1583.pdf

When i looked for overvoltages across the sepic capacitor on the Scope (200MHz bandwidth scope) , i merely placed the scope probe across the SEPIC capacitor.

However, the scope probe ground will have an associated capacitance to the ground, and so i fear that i may have unwittingly filtered any overvoltage spikes away?
-Must i use a differential probe to look for the overvoltages on the sepic capacitor?
I am wondering if there will be overvoltages at start up, due to the ringing with the leakage inductance of the coupled SEPIC inductor?
Also, as the FET switches, i fear that there may be overvoltages on the SEPIC capacitor at these intervals also?

Do i need the differential probe?, and what bandwidth Diff probe must i purchase?

Post your circuit diagram and indicate which capacitor you are measuring.

You shouldn't need a differential probe, but you need to buy a scope probe socket (or make your own) as the scope earth lead will pick up interference. Remove the earth lead of the probe, wind a piece of wire around the earth collar of the probe and connect this to one side of the cap, making sure this earth lead is only a few mm long. Probe the other end. This will keep the pickup to a minimum and get you a true reading.

yes there will be some ringing across this cap on switch on as you have a tuned circuit with the input and output inductors and the coupling cap. try making the coupling cap smaller (1uF) - it is only conducting a square wave so its value does not have to be too high.

Failing that, try a 4 switch buck boost converter (LT3791 for LED driving)

See my website for more info on the waveforms you should be seeing (and for example LTSpice circuits you can try)

Simon;
I hadn't seen your website...very useful!! I have bookmarked it.

Completely agree on a very short grounding wire required for PSU waveform analysis. I cringe when I see a tech analyzing PSU waveforms with the grounding wire further attached to a 10 cm alligator clip...it is a receiver antenna!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back