Siglent SDG 1025 as RF generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
For simple experiments in RF at around 10 MHz, I could have access to a SDG 1025 Siglent signal generator. Manual available **broken link removed**. I could be even buying it.

What could be missing for it to serve as a proper RF generator?

Somebody suggested to look at the capability to attenuate the output. I would dare to add, stability, but lacking previous experience I am not sure what to look at.

No RF generator is available around here so this seem the sole option I have, if at all.

Comments appreciated.

Last edited:
For simple experiments in RF at around 10 MHz
First of all define "simple experiments in RF"
I am guessing that this has something to do with the 10Mhz receiver you were discussing a few weeks ago.

What could be missing for it to serve as a proper RF generator?

The SDG1025 series of equipments could best be clasified as function generators rather than RF Signal Generators.

From a brief look through the specifications, my first thoughts are that the output voltage is much too high for receiver testing.
OK if you want to use it as the local oscillator in a receiver, or as the frequency determining oscillator in a transmitter, but to assess the performance of a receiver ther is way too much output.

Having said that, you could use an attaenuator to reduce the signal to suitable (microvolt) levels, but then there is another potential problem...
direct radiation from the generator itself.
There could be more signal directly radiated from the SDG1025 than what comes through the attenuator.
At a quick guess that generator was not designed with low radiation from the case in mind.

Would I buy one for testing radio receivers? No.

Would I buy one as a general purpose signal source? May be.

JimB

Hola Jim

Yes it is all related with that previous post. Testing filters, inductors and to design a simple DC receiver for a single frequency.

But then I should avoid the generator's radiation and to provide an attenuator. Not very encouraging.

Gracias for replying.

Last edited:
It is a waveform generator not an RF generator. It builds waveform by synthesizing a stepped sinewave (or other waveshapes and waveform sequences). It is okay for direct measurements at frequency but don't try to do things like adjacent channel selectivity or intermod performance tests. Just too much sideband noise and broad outband noise floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…