Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signal with a day long negative width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffman

Hi,

Long time lurker, third time poster. I have a question for you guys. I got a roomba and I hate having to tell it to go. I want to basically take a push button and convert it to automatically "press" once a day. I was thinking of soldering a 555 on to the traces as an astable vibrator with biasing to have it on for 1 second and have it off for a really really long time comparably(about 24 hours). Is there a more elegant way to implement this. It would have to be something simple because I will be soldering on to the traces.

needless to say, this is hard to test in a circuit capture program because of the abnomally long down time and short time up.

Last edited:
A 555 is not capable of generating such a long delay period. About the longest you can do with a 555 is about 30min.

Here is a previous thread that deals with a 24h delay.

An easy way to do long, accurate time periods, with short on-times. Electro-mechanical wall plug timers have a minimum of 15 minutes on or off periods. Digital timers have a minimum 1 minute. Adding a DC wall wart with a simple relay-monostable will do the trick. And the output is isolated from the line and DC supply. The on-time depends on the size of the electrolytic capacitor, the coil resistance of the relay, and it's pull-in and dropout voltages.

Actually you could do any type of monostable off the wall wart.

Ken

Oops!. A reread of the post looks like you want it built into the Rumba. Do it with an 8-pin PIC or equivalent microcontroller.

Attachments

• Relay Monostable and Timer.gif
    Relay Monostable and Timer.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back