Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Silly question about timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblc1388

Why are counters in a PIC or other MCU called timers?

A real timer counts time elapses, timer don't have bits, so to speak.

They are really just counters, 8-bit or 16-bit presettable counters. All electronic parts with such function are correctly called counters, like 7490, 4040 or 4060...., have anyone ever seen a 4-bit binary timer? I have a frequency counter, it also measure time interval, but it is never called a timer.

Here is the distinction as I see it. In conventional usage a Timer is a counter that counts the periodic intervals of a fixed frequency clock.

A counter, on the other hand, counts events, which may or may not be periodic. This lack of periodicity is what separates the two applications.

That's just my opinion FWIW.

And the fact that a "timer" cannot be used to measure counts.
If something measure counts, it is by definition a counter. :D

As Papabravo said, a counter is triggered and not a fixed interval of time. Though an MCU's timer may be triggered externally and also can be adjusted to a different interval at will, the timer is still is a specific interval and does occur in the background.

Disassemble a digital real timer. What do you find at its lowest core? Digital bits or quantum packs of time?

to me the crux of it is that timers are counters driven off of a periodic source. You start a timer, then sample the count at a given point and that is the elapsed time in periodic units. Seems like a timer to me.

eblc1388 said:
And the fact that a "timer" cannot be used to measure counts.
If something measure counts, it is by definition a counter. :D
OK...I'm not sure where you are going with this but you won't get either an argument or strong support for your position from me. Timers and counters are both great!

Just wondering if it is "politically correct" to call a 7490, 4040 or 4017 as a timer.

Anyway, this is a silly question and the answer is "who cares".

eblc1388 said:
Just wondering if it is "politically correct" to call a 7490, 4040 or 4017 as a timer.

Not on it's own, but the 'timer' in a PIC isn't just a counter, it has extra hardware as well - so those counter chips, plus others, could be called a 'timer' :D

Anyway, this is a silly question and the answer is "who cares".

It's not as silly as many of the threads! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back