Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredisdead

Hello all I have a project in which I need to "build" a clock which counts to 24 (all I really need to do is correctly draw the diagram), I am able to simulate the count in binary but when I attach the binary input into the seven sigment the count doesnt come out right; after nine the seven sigment starts to make illedgible figures.

I believe what I need is how to convert my binary inputs into BCD by using electronic components. I know that in reality there are binary to BCD decoders but I am not able to use one of these in my project, so I need to build one from parts. Can some one help me with how to do this. I have searched extensively on the internet, but thusfar come up with nothing.

Thanks in anticipation

Fred

Binary to BCD

It sounds like your assignment is to draw a schematic of a bin. to bcd decoder.
What kind of parts are you allowed to use ? do you have to use discrete logic gates ? The easiest way I can think of is to use a ROM.

You could use BCD counters, a 7490 series device would be a good place to start. It can be configured as divide by 2, 5 or 10.

Hello, thanks for replying. Im not allowed to use ROM. Im using the program Electronics Workbench (if youre familiar with it), so I use a binary counter using J-K flip flops and I want to conver the five bit binary to a BCD with logic gates and flip flops, shift register, adders, etc.

I think you were right in saying I need to draw a "schematic of a bin. to bcd decoder". But dont know the inner workings of a binary to BCD decoder, any ideas?

Fredisdead said:
Hello, thanks for replying. Im not allowed to use ROM. Im using the program Electronics Workbench (if youre familiar with it), so I use a binary counter using J-K flip flops and I want to conver the five bit binary to a BCD with logic gates and flip flops, shift register, adders, etc.

I think you were right in saying I need to draw a "schematic of a bin. to bcd decoder". But dont know the inner workings of a binary to BCD decoder, any ideas?

Are you sure your not being required to just design a BCD counter with your J-K FFs? It's a pretty simple addition (some gates driving the reset pins) to make a 4 bit binary counter 'reset' on the tenth clock pulse back to zero, therby becoming a BCD counter.

Lefty

Binary to BCD converter.

Hi Fred,

Here's one, and it will work up to 25, not higher.

on1aag.

Attachments

• BIN to BCD.GIF
    BIN to BCD.GIF
    14.1 KB · Views: 5,709
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back