Simple Fm Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the RF amplifier from my FM transmitter with the base bias resistor's value reduced for only a 4.5V supply:

Attachments

• RF Amplifier.PNG
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,016
A transistor with a parallel tuned circuit for its collector load has high gain.
A transistor with a resistor for its collector load has low gain at 100MHz.

if u can't buy those inductors can you please give me some info to make one?
eg: wire diameter, length of wire and any other stuff necessary.

thanks

things said:
do you know of any shop in australia you can get that inductors?

Hi Things,

you will find it easy to make inductors(especially air cored ones) rather than purchasing. just have a look at few. micro and nano henries could well be wound on a meg ohm resistor and used.

ther are simple electronic calculators to guide you for the turns etc,

I you have a faulty night lamp transformer or any poer tansformer, that is faulty, RIP it and you have plenty of wire on secondary to suite your needs.

Or goto a local coil winder and seek few (say 2 or 3) metres of recovered enemelled copper wire ( the enemel is not removed) --

take drill bilt of wanted Dia and wind the ire manually and pull out the drill bit .. your coil is ready-- scap the enamel at the edges and tinker the ends for good soldering..
please go ahead-- why purchase?

I got the enamelled wire from a speaker's crossover network. Here is how I make coils for 100MHz:

Attachments

• FM coil2.GIF
    5.6 KB · Views: 914
If a RF NPN transistor is used to amplify the modulated signal, with a resistor for the collector load, will the gain be high?

bananasiong said:
If a RF NPN transistor is used to amplify the modulated signal, with a resistor for the collector load, will the gain be high?

No it will be pathetic!, tuned amplifiers are used in RF circuits for VERY good reason!.

The gain of a transistor is determined by the ratio of its collector load impedance to its emitter resistance. At 100MHz the antenna is about 50 ohms to 75 ohms and is in parallel with the collector resistance so the voltage gain is fairly low.

When a tuned circuit is used as the collector load then the voltage gain is higher.

Harry has many FM transmitter circuits on his site. This one uses a PNP RF amplifier transistor with a collector resistor. Other transmitters use an NPN transistor and operate the same. He says the power gain is 10dB which is 10 times the power, but the oscillator's coil is tapped so its output power is low anyway.

Attachments

• Harry's FM transmitter.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 556
with that rf amp posted by audioguru how do you know it's working and what does the variable capacitor do change frequency or what?
how far is the range if you know?

Last edited:
things said:
with that rf amp posted by audioguru how do you know it's working and what does the variable capacitor do change frequency or what?
how far is the range if you know?

it is for tuing the paralle tuned LC combination so that only wanted fundametal frequecies are sent to arial and harmonics are suppressed, thus you have to peak it using your Rx as a sensor to get best distance, indirectly indicating that the coil and cap are properly tuned.

I just noticed that your flea-powered kit transmitter operates from only a single 1.0V to 1.5V battery cell!
So I have modified my RF amplifier to work on such a low voltage.
The RF amplifier might not make any difference or it might extend the range to twice as far.

Attachments

• RF_Amplifier.PNG
    136.5 KB · Views: 768

Hi,
You mean R1 value of ONE ohm to current bias 2N3904 from 1.5V DC???

PS: OK it is 4K7 , I get it

Well, I've seen some shematic(s) of the wireless microphone(s) on the internet. In these schematics, at the oscillator stage there's a capacitor 33pf(C6) or 47pf(C4) which is connected parallel with the resistor at Transistor's emitor's, I hope you could all see the schematics... well I don't know what do these capacitors do or take effects in these circuits ? Could anyone help me answering this question ?
Thank you all for answering this question

Attachments

• mic.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 287
  • mic1.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 289
  • mic2.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 280
I love the idea of this flea powered TX cct.

A few questions please..

1. I have 4.5Volts to play with and a power budget of 50mA. How could I make this TX as powerful as possible? I'm using it in the middle of the desert in Australia, so interference is just NOT an issue, I would not do such a thing in suburbia.
  2. Also, TX Freq is set by LC values etc I see, and it will drift with temp, is there any way I could 'easily' incorporate a XTAL or other 'simple' circuit to make it more stable? - stbility is not a big issue, but if it can be increased easily then why not.
  3. What would the actual transmitted power be at TX frequency? in mW if possible.. how would I look at the circuit and calculate this? I am RF electronics trade qualified, just been out of the game for years. appreciate a refresher.
  4. Generally.. wondering how something like this would go against the micromitter chip( Micromitter prject URL ).. in terms of power budget, RF out and stability. The Micromitter does look quite compelling.

Thanks!!!!!

Ian

Last edited:
I love the idea of this flea powered TX cct.
which of the many lousy FM transmitters in this thread is the "flea powered " one? The one with the obsolete BA1404 IC?

Look at its datasheet to see its allowed range of supply voltages.

2) Also, TX Freq is set by LC values etc I see, and it will drift with temp, is there any way I could 'easily' incorporate a XTAL or other 'simple' circuit to make it more stable?
No.
It is simple and cheap. its frequency also changes as the battery voltage runs down and if something moves toward the circuit or moves away.

3)What would the actual transmitted power be at TX frequency? in mW if possible.. how would I look at the circuit and calculate this? I am RF electronics trade qualified, just been out of the game for years. appreciate a refresher.
A few milli-watts.
4)Generally.. wondering how something like this would go against the micromitter chip( Micromitter prject URL ).. in terms of power budget, RF out and stability. The Micromitter does look quite compelling.
The Micromitter is much better and is much more modern.

how about those 315Mhz modules? Are they susceptible to frequency changing if anybody gets near it?

how about those 315Mhz modules? Are they susceptible to frequency changing if anybody gets near it?
No.
They are properly designed with a quartz crystal oscillator.
The Micromitter also has a quartz crystal oscillator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…