Simple frequency divider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawblade

I'm working a project that needs a simple frequency divider (specifically by 2). It's just a DC square wave input, but it and the output will be at 12v, so the CMOS ics I usually use are out of the question.

Sawblade said:
I'm working a project that needs a simple frequency divider (specifically by 2). It's just a DC square wave input, but it and the output will be at 12v, so the CMOS ics I usually use are out of the question.

I thought CMOS was fine at 12V?.

Anyway, all you need is a bistable multivibrator, you can easily built one with a couple of transistors - they were commonly used as computer elements in the pre-IC days, and are what is inside many CMOS and TTL logic chips.

Most manufacturers' CD4xxx-series ordinary Cmos ICs have a max voltage rating of 18V. The ones from Texas Instruments (their Cmos ICs were formerly Harris which was formerly RCA) have a max voltage rating of 22V. Many circuits use 15V. The higher the voltage, the faster they go and with more output current. RCA invented Cmos ICs and I still got some.

74HCxx high-speed Cmos ICs have a max voltage rating of only 7V.
I have some 74HCxx circuits that operate fine with a supply voltage below 1.24V, which is the lowest output from my LM317 variable supply. Ordinary Cmos runs into trouble with a supply voltage below 3V.

You can make a variable-frequency generator from a 74HCxx Schmitt-trigger input inverter oscillator. Vary its supply voltage and the frequency varies a lot.

Just a little Cmos trivia for you guys. :lol:

That's interesting. I always though CMOS ICs were too sensitive to go over 5v. Whenever I drop in here with a quick question, I always learn something new.

Sawblade said:
That's interesting. I always though CMOS ICs were too sensitive to go over 5v. Whenever I drop in here with a quick question, I always learn something new.

It's TTL that are sensitive to the supply rail, one of the advantages of CMOS is their far wider supply tolerance.

LS, CMOS, HCT, HC..

It's TTL that are sensitive to the supply rail, one of the advantages of CMOS is their far wider supply tolerance

74LS series have a high for a voltage: 4.75v to 5.25v. CMOS have a wider range of values for high up to about 15V I think. Conflict usually arises when you want to do a mixed logic design for example when you want to use a 74LS to drive a CMOS.

Just some logic trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…