Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple I2C question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

I'm interfacing a PIC with a bunch of 3.3V devices. I *might* need to run the PIC off 5V for reasons I'll mention later. If the PIC is running off 5V, can I just use pull up resistors on the SDA and SCL lines to the 3.3V supply since they are open drain/open collector?

The reason I might need to use 5V is because of ICSP programming and USB stuff. I have to check if the 18F2550 can handle flash mem erases with a 3.3V supply with my programmer (melabs U2) and whether or not I need a 5V supply for any of the USB stuff.

I think you will have problems as the inputs to the I²C module are schmitt triggers and require 0.8*Vdd for a valid high. This is only my interpretation of the data sheet and so I could be wrong.

There are various ways to solve this problem. See Microchips Hints & Tips

Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back