Simple LED question (definately leading to more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a bit tricky, so I'll post a spread sheet later

You don't need to calculate all this stuff. Just connect four LEDs in series with a 220 ohm or 240 ohm resistor and look at them. They'll light.

Maplin's cheap Chinese LEDs are probably all different anyway.
I bought a bag of 100 Fairchild LEDs. I've used and tested about 75 of them and they are closely the same. Of the cheap Chinese LEDs that work (many didn't) that I bought locally, they were all different. :cry:

Here it is. The resistor across the red LED (assuming you need one) (ie. one per red LED) has to bypass the excess current.

You can vary the parameters in the spread sheet to see the effects.

Attachments

• door_leds.xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 131
Being a newbie to small electrics I hadn't a clue about any of this. I appreciate it would be easy to plug the things in and look but I do like to know what's going on and why. I hate things that 'just do'.

Between all the replies I've got on here from AG and LJCox I think I can safely say I know more than I did three/four days ago and for that I'm greatful. If all goes bang I'll be back soon, but if not thanks for all your help.

Angie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…