Simple Project - AC/DC Switch Problem :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnTurner123

hey, i am trying to make a simple project which looks like the single diagram below, it will have 8 circuits set up next to each other. the problem i am having is that the switch i plan on using is a DPDT (On)-Off-(On) Momentary switch
HTML:
http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/js-511clc/toggle-switch-dpdt-on-off-on/dp/SW03353
however it seems to be rated for AC only, i am aware that if you AC switches for DC projects it could cause the switch to overheat but i don't know whether it is too low or high rating :/

I am not too sure if i can still use the switch as i only plan on using either a AA or AAA switch, as im a newbie at so i dont know if the switch will work or not.

Or if the previous diagram above may cause the switch to overheat could i make the circuit like the one shown on multi.png?

thanks

Attachments

• Single.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Multi.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 154
DC ratings are usually lower than the AC rating and have a voltage rating of 32 Volts DC. It all depends on the switch contact material. For switching motors at may be worse becase of the inrush current witch may degrade the contact material shortning the life of the switch. The only way to tell if the contact material will hold up is to get one with the proper rating. Motor switchs have a HP rating.

hmmm there is no information about what the switch material is made from :/...but the current and voltage from the batteries will be to low to burn out the contacts within the switch i am looking at buying?

Also would the diagram will multiple circuits connecting to one battery work, in terms of switching individual motors on/off for example i flick the first switch and that moves the first motor?

Last edited:
Also would the diagram will multiple circuits connecting to one battery work, in terms of switching individual motors on/off for example i flick the first switch and that moves the first motor?
No, The purple wires for the battery are all wrong!!!
You must run positive and negative to all the switches. All the red wires should be connected together and go to the battery positive and all the yellow wires should go to the battery negative.

I wouldn't worry about the ac/dc rating of the switch until you get up into the higher voltages and currents, if you're just using batteries for you power, you won't be able to damage the pictured switch.

Attachments

• POST.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 151
Just another quick question...the wires that are going to the motor from the switch is going to be about 5 meters long, so I plan on using a 9V dry cell battery to power 2 motors, my question is that would using the long wire reduce the amount of voltage going to the motor? I.e. would it be halved because I am using two motors?...also would this affect the switch? I've bought them and they say 0.3VA on the side not too sure what this means...sorry if this is a nooby question

Thanks

would using the long wire reduce the amount of voltage going to the motor?
Not as long as the wire is big enough for the current.
would it be halved because I am using two motors?...
No because they are wired in parallel.
also would this affect the switch?
No
I've bought them and they say 0.3VA on the side not too sure what this means
VA is volt amps, usually used for AC motors;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt-ampere
Are you sure you got a DC motor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…