Simple question please

Status
Not open for further replies.

afesheir

hi everybody
I want a persuasive explaination about how the series connected resistors have the same current, although - according to my understanding - the large resistor should consume the current so that the next resistor will have less current ... please help

Current cannot be consumed. An electron is matter, like a rock and cannot just dissapear when it enters the resistor. Therefore, it must appear exiting the resistor which means it must enter the next resistor, and so on.

Imagine water. Lots of water = lots of current. Really hot water = high voltage. WHen it flows through a super cold pipe = the wire, all the water (current) that entered must come out because water and electrons (which make the current) are both matter. What can happen is the pipe (for whatever reason) causes the water to lose energy by getting colder (electrons losing energy causing a voltage drop).

So basically, current is electrons and electrons are matter, and matter cannot just dissapear. Think about voltage the way you are thinking about current right now, and then learn a new way to think about current.

Last edited:
thanks

thanks for the reply
i can imagine the example of hot water and cold pipe, but the current in not electrons, but it is a rate of electron flow, thus, a large resistance can cause this rate to slow down ... am I wrong??
Note this example

if I am driving a car at a spead of 100km/h (current = 100 A) in an empty road (low resistance), and suddenly I entered a traffic road (high resistance), my spead will slow down. i.e; to 30 km/h (new current = 30A)

Last edited:
Voltage (similar to electron energy) is kind of like how much the electrons vibrate as they flow. The amount and speed at which they vibrate is independent of the speed or direction the electron is flowing in.

Your analog is wrong, because electrons don't "slow down" when they travel through a resistor. They vibrate less (which is also the same as losing energy, and this causes a voltage drop).

With cars, the number of cars passing across a line draw across a highway depends on the speed of the cars AND the number of cars passing the line at the same time. But electrons move at pretty much the same speed no matter what. This means that current flow (or rate of electron flow) is how many electrons are trying to cram through the same space at the same time in the resistor/wire, rather than how fast the electrons are moving.

Imagine you (the electron) and a bunch of other people, walking around waving your arms everywhere and kicking in all directions, but really still moving forward. If you enter a narrow hallway (a resistor), then everyone has to cram close together and you can't wave your arms around or kick as much, but you are still walking forward at the same speed. The lack of waving and kicking is the voltage drop (loss of energy), but the current (the number of people passing through a cross section of the hallway at any one time) is the same.

Last edited:
resistors in series have the same current but larger resistor has higher voltage drop, as Ohm's law stated Watts = Volts x Amperes, therefore it consumes more power.

my dear friend

I am not speaking about disappraring, but I know that current = rate of electrone flow, and this rate would decrease by the large resistance, in other words, the same number of electrone will pass though the wire but in longer time ---> less current

Okay, I'll make it simple for you. Electrons DO NOT CHANGE IN SPEED. EVER! Electrons always travel at the same speed no matter what. This means that they cannot slow down in resistors, which means that the only thing that affects rate of electron flow is how many electrons are beside each other when passing through a cross section of a resistor.

A resistor cannot change the speed of electron flow. What resistor does is dampen vibrations as the electron travels through them so the electrons vibrate less. This causes a voltage drop- NOT a change in current.

In your analog where electrons slow down inside a resistor, this means that in the wire they travel faster. This would cause electrons to exit the resistor slower than they entered which would make the resistor explode because it was full of electrons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…