Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple remote switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsemajb

Perhaps I can try this in this section?

What is the absolutely simplest method of linking two momentary switches with RF?

Is there such a thing (fantasy probably) as a single chip? I'm imagining an eight pin IC with switch connection, power, rf in/out. Or even a matching pair. Ultra simple. A few dollars each?

I've seen this
Linx Technologies TXE-433-KH RF transmitter modules with built-in encoder
Linx Technologies RXD-433-KH2 Long-Range RF receiver modules with built-in decoder

But it's 25USD for the pair, and still more complicated than what I've described above. I have no training in programming or electronics. I know my way basically around board components, soldering irons, and general repair.

I need a range of about 100ft through obstructions. I found a wireless control for outdoor lights made by Intermatic at Menards yesterday for 9.95USD. Keyfob remote activates a waterproof pigtailed outlet good to 15amps. Without getting into a debate on predatory pricing and slave labor in China, why can't I just get a couple of chips from DigiKey to do this on my benchtop for much less than it (obviously) costs to manufacture this entire product?

I can hack this apart and shoehorn it into my project, but it makes me sad that I have to do such an end run around what ought to have a more elegant solution. I don't need joystick control or even multi link capability. Simply one switch activation. I can supply the op-amp and relay at the rcvr end.

Original post restored -such actions are NOT permitted here - moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
sub-$10 R/F

SparkFun Electronics - RF Link - 2400bps - 315MHz

$9 for the R/F. And if it's from SparkFun (love 'em, but...), you can probably find them for 25% less elsewhere. SparkFun is currently out of them (and the other three similar products), but I've seen the ones elsewhere (don't remember off-hand where).

I've looked at the Lynx stuff before and I generally really like what I've seen. But the modules are a little pricey, and IIRC, their ICs are SMT only, so rolling-your-own isn't as easy as you'd like it to be.

-e

Can we calm down here just a sec?
Nigel.. Torben..

I wanted to delete my post. I attempted to do so while it had not been responded to yet. I thought that was acceptable forum protocol generally. I did not see an option for delete, it's probably there right in front of me but I did not see it. I chose the least offensive option since I could not just leave it entirely blank.

In fact, it seems usually the case that moderators replace or eliminate topics begun that are repeats from elsewhere on a board. On reflection I thought it was not a good idea to do so.

With your indulgence, respectfully, would you please delete this thread.

Thank you very much. Brad.

Ok, i just checked and 'delete' is right there in front of me. I'm an idiot. I'll say it first. Please delete this thread and you'll be rid of me I promise.

Last edited:
Can we calm down here just a sec?
Nigel.. Torben..

I wanted to delete my post. I attempted to do so while it had not been responded to yet. I thought that was acceptable forum protocol generally. I did not see an option for delete, it's probably there right in front of me but I did not see it. I chose the least offensive option since I could not just leave it entirely blank.

While I admit my response was worded overly harshly, this is an example of why it's good form to suss out a particular forum's culture before posting, not after. The site really shouldn't need a sticky for this kind of thing but perhaps that would be a good idea.

The least offensive way to delete the post would have been to explain clearly why you were deleting it, and to double-check whether it had in fact been replied to before doing so. Removing content from a forum such as this just renders any followup discussion incomprehensible.

In fact, it seems usually the case that moderators replace or eliminate topics begun that are repeats from elsewhere on a board. On reflection I thought it was not a good idea to do so.

Here, it is always a good idea to start a new thread for a new question. Just remember that before you post, check Google and search the forum to see whether your question has already been answered.

Please delete this thread and you'll be rid of me I promise.

You don't need to go away. :) Just check out how things are done on a forum (google "lurking") before posting. You've had your spanking here (and I apologize for the tenor of my earlier post) and from other posts you have made I think you can be a valuable member here. Just don't do weird things which mess up the archive of information--others looking for the same thing you were looking for might later wind up on a thread (via Google or similar) like this one and get totally confused if the original post is obscured under a pile of meaningless characters with no explanation [Edit: or if the original post is deleted outright].

Regards,

Torben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back