simple, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horst1

Sorry, im totally new to this electronics thing so please just give me an idea what I should be studying up on and what I might need

I have a need for a small project, it will require some sort of sensor that will detect when something is placed on a pad (max weight maybe 3 lbs, minimum maybe a few grams). When that happens it needs to activate a motor, the motor basically drives a mechanical claw, I need to be able to somehow tell the motor to shut off when the 'claw' is gripping something (dont worry about the claw thing too much). The object will be removed from the pad, the claw needs to open slightly, and when the object is placed back on it needs to close once again and continue doing this. When power is cut off I need the motors to open the claw completely

Now I have been doing some reading but not much because im not sure what I need to read. I was thinking this is something that will require a PIC, if so anything you can recommend for a beginner that could complete such a simple task (a book, a website with a tutorial, something like that). What sort of raw materials will I need to get this completed. As for the weight sensitive pad, what can meet these requirements (its not about how much weight, its about there being any weight at all). Finally, the motors being able to shut off when the 'claw' makes contact (does not need to be tight at all), how could this be done? Will I be needing more weight sensitive pads to go on each end of the claw? I am sorry for so many basic questions, but its something that keeps popping up in my mind

Links to pertinent learning material, sites where to buy the parts, etc would be great

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…