Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple score-keeping unit. Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUCErulz

I am constructing a table top score keeping unit for my son's school. The unit will
count down a preset time period and display numeric digits representing the score.

I have the resources to fabricate the housing for the unit but I need advice
concerning the digital displays.

I need a simple countdown timer with a 3-4 inch LED display. The timer will need to have a
start/stop switch, a means for setting the original time period and a reset mechanism.

In addition to the timer, I need two other seperate LED displays.
One of them RED one of them GREEN. Each of them will be a 4-5 inch display, capable
of showing 2 digits. The two digit displays will indicate home and guest score.
The modules housing the score displays may sit away from the main control and wire
linkage would be fine.

The controller for the two score displays would each have two TAP BUTTONS
Tap the GREEN up button to add a single point to the green display total.
Tap the GREEN down button to subtract a single point from the green display total.

-same thing for RED. Reset by subtracting back to zero.

A few design ideas:

* The score digits can be individual LED's mounted into my cabinet whereas different combinations
of enabled LED's would show as numerals ie 7 seg display design

* The touch pads for adding and subtracting points would be flush with the table top, or flush
on a board sitting on a table top. Therefore, the operator would not need to look at the controls
but simply tap a finger on the correct spot to change the score.

* Is it feasible to salvage an old digital alarm clock to build a countdown display?

Again, I can build the cabinet and mount the displays. So, my question is this:

Are such "ready made" components available? Would I be just as well economically
to build the circuits from scratch? Where might I find the schematics for such a circuit?

What would be the most cost effective means of acquiring the display circuits and hardware
for producing 8-10 such units?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

As it's clearly marked 'Jaycar', who are a component supplier, it's obviously available as a kit. Jaycar are Australian, but here's a link to the kit on their UK website **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back