Simple scoreboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Breeze

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this, but in our hockey league, we are looking for a ultra cheap scoreboard for indoor hockey...

I've been looking around the net, and found a good-size single-digit display (7" - https://www.a1parts.com/digitdisplay/index.htm) to use

Minimum req' would be something like

Code:
------------------------
-  Home   Time   Away  -
-  00    00:00    00   -
------------------------

The counter would need to be able to go down from either 20 or 10 minutes (no need for custom time) and reset. It would but installed on a wall, and would need an external control (lower on the wall)

If possible
  • Short buzz when at '00:00'.
  • 3 lights for periods if possible
  • Custom time reset if possible to implement, but this would be because we are playing indoor hockey in a small shool gymnasium, and we would give the board to them... So a custom time reset could be usefull for them.

Control box could be like
  • Time reset (press one 10:00, press again for 20:00)
  • Score reset
  • Start time
  • Team 1 - Add a goal
  • Team 2 - Add a goal
  • Period 3-way switch
  • Power on/off

I tough of purchasing a pre-built one, but those cost a lot and too much features for what we need.

I'm pretty good on working with my own hands, but wondering how this could be done (electronic-side)?

I'm open for suggestions, if there are better way or parts to do this.

Thanks!

Olivier

Hero999 said:
I suppose a microcontroller is the only sensible way of going about this.

I'd agree. I built my first digital circuit (a foosball scoreboard circuit) using TTL logic over the past couple of years. It is big, slow, and uses too much power--but it does work.

It took ages to design and I had a ton of help from Ron (Roff) , Eric Gibbs, Nigel, audioguru, and I'm sure many others I'm forgetting right now. I learned a lot--enough to know that while it was a fun project and I learned a lot, it would be much faster to build, debug, design, and modify after the fact by using a microcontroller.

I've attached a photo of the completed boards. Ron, you can see the differentiators you instructed me on, on the left-hand board (four identical subcircuits with pigtails for the score/win lamps and RCA outs for the SPD-20 triggers--thought you might like to know I actually used the help you so patiently gave me.)

Torben

[Edit: I need another coffee. Ron hasn't posted to this thread at all. ]

Attachments

• IMG_2722_small.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 580
It still looks good anyway.

What did you use to power it?

I suppose a wall wart or large sealed lead acid battery are the only viable options.

Hero999 said:
It still looks good anyway.

What did you use to power it?

I suppose a wall wart or large sealed lead acid battery are the only viable options.

Thanks Hero,

I put a wall-wart type plug on it and used a 12V 1A linear supply I'd built for something else (a Fostex 4-track recorder I never got around to fixing).

Torben

. . .and back to the topic at hand.

Y2Breeze, how much do you have to spend on this?

How much time do you have to design and build?

What (if any) parts do you already have (displays, etc)?

If you like I can work on some code for this. I have some older cheap microcontrollers; I could most likely fit the required code onto one of those and mail it to you if you like. This project shouldn't need much in the way of fancy chip features and I like to support local sports/schools.

Other things like the switches, displays, power supply, housing etc. you might be able to scrounge from scrap/used appliances etc. For the switches my first thought would be that you'd want something which can take a beating, especially if you're going to let the school kids at it. Big arcade-game style buttons and switches are meant to last forever but also cost quite a bit.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…