Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Timer application

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimothyLover

I need a simple timer that whenever is given current, it lets it pass for a second or two and then switches off. Basically all it needs is send an impulse to an electric lock for it to open and then the circuit should close to avoid to damage/heat the lock. Can be 12 Volts DC or 110 Volts AC as could be placed before or after the transformer. Does anyone know where I could buy this or could someone build it for me for a reasonable price? Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Timothy

since what you need is just an impulse, hope the attached circuit may work. it may give you a suden on and off in a fraction of second and this delay is decided by mechanical response delay of the relays.

this is how it will work.

when the circuit get 110V relay R1 picks since it has a path via normally closed (NC) contact of relay R2
when R1 pick R2 also get power via normally open contact (NO) of R1, then R2 will latch since it has another path via its own NO contact, same moment R1 will drop and remain the same.

until 110 v is removed R2 will rmain picked.
R1 just got on and then off and remains.

so the second NO contact of R1 will give you a momentary impulse when you connect your 12v circuit via it. it may be in a fraction of second but of cause much enough to trigger your lock

you dont want to go for any expensive electronic time delays for your need

Attachments

• simple impulse circuit.JPG
    simple impulse circuit.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
You can just connect a capacitor inline with a relay coil. The relay contacts are then used to switch the 12VDC to the lock solenoid.

See attached schem. The coil resistance affects the timing; e.g. a G5LE-1-DC12 has a 360 ohm coil, and will switch off after ~0.8seconds with the values shown. Lower coil resistance will result in it turning off sooner. A larger capacitor will extend the time.

The resistor across the supply is to discharge the capacitor quickly (~1.5 seconds) after power is removed so that the lock may be operated again soon.

Attachments

• PULSERELAY.gif
    PULSERELAY.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your replies and the suggested solutions. Unfortunately I have no clue about electronics and on how to do this. Would anyone be able to do build that for me for a small fee (paypal)?

I live in Panama but also have a mail forwarding address in the US.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back