Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple USB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlipford370

Hello,

I have a board with a usb on it, and I need to extend the usb to a different location. Due to the placement, an adapter or anything that plugs into the usb will not work. Also, you cannot just un-solder the existing usb, and add wire, because this company ships their boards with some tough epoxy on them. My thought is to cut the usb away enough to easily gain access to these points seen here. If I just solder 5 wires to these points, and then coincide these wires to a female 5 pin micro usb socket - should that usb then function the same as the usb originally on the board or would is pose any issues? Also, is it safe to assume going from left to right on one board, the leads would hook up internally to the same places, within the other micro usb? Do you have any suggestions on a better way to do this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
1) Plug something into each USB connector (new and old) to test if one is made upside down. If they are made the same way then a simple 1 to 1 wiring is fine.
2) The power and ground might have 1A of current. I don't know how much current your board pulls.
3) The data lines have very fast signals on them. The cable is a transmission line with controlled impedance. The PCB should have been made with the correct impedance of traces for those two lines. Your wires should match also. What you are doing may not work. USB-1 or USB-2???? For the two data lines I would use small wire (wire wrap wire), twist the two data lines together. Keep it short. Hope it works.
4) How about cutting off the end of a USB cable and soldering it to the board.

Wow, thank you for the information, I had no idea that many variables were involved.

Cutting off the end of USB cable and soldering it to the board is essentially what I want to do. But, I would just be making my own USB cable by soldering my own wires to the board, or to those yellow lines I marked in the picture. From what you say, using an existing USB cable may be wiser due to the wires used.

I believe this is usb2.0 but I honestly don't know for certain. **broken link removed** is all the information the vendor provides. I own a "make your own custom electronic cigarette" **broken link removed**, and this board has a fixed USB. Looking for a way to change the location of the USB.

Appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back