Simples 16F628 programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytter

Heya there,

I've been searching the net for a "very very simple" 16F628 programmer using the serial port. So far this is the simplest I've found: **broken link removed**. Can anyone give me a link to others that you might recomend?

Thanks!

Hugo Ferreira

It'll work, it's JDM programmer based. They can be very finicky depends a lot on the voltages of your serial port, but are really easy to assemble.

Here's another of similar design.

Thanks guys,

I ended up buying the K8048 kit and assemblying it myself. It worked I can now program my 16F628A and 16F627 without problems. Im still trying to understand MPLab when it comes to simulation, but the leds are already blinking with patterns, ehehe

Now all I need to learn is to measure the temperature using the A/D, and communicating with an external EEPROM / MMC card (?) for data logging...

Care for some tips?

Thanks!

Hugo Ferreira

bytter said:
Now all I need to learn is to measure the temperature using the A/D, and communicating with an external EEPROM / MMC card (?) for data logging...

PIC16F628 doesn't have internal ADC, u need to use external adc IC, I would suggets u use PIC16F88, most powerful PIC 16F series, that have 5 analog channel, USART and etc...

it may suit to ur application (datalogger)

Hmmm... I was afraid so... Anyway, what does it mean then:

Code:
• Analog comparator module with:
- Two analog comparators
- Programmable on-chip voltage reference
(VREF) module
- Programmable input multiplexing from device
inputs and internal voltage reference
- Comparator outputs are externally accessible

Also, I assume 16F628 can access I2C ICs, like EEPROMS... right?

Thanks!

Hugo Ferreira

You 'can' use the comparator module to make a crude low resolution A2D, but you are FAR better off using a different PIC - the 16F819 is another 18 pin one with internal A2D.

But can the 16F628 access I2C ICs? Like EEPROMS?

Yes it can (any PIC can, it only needs software) - check my tutorials, most of which use the 16F628.

My A2D tutorials use a 16F876 or 16F877, but can easily be applied to the 16F88 or 16F819.

Thanks Nigel,

I've been reading your tutorials, but since you also mention the 16F876 and 16F877, I wasn't sure I could use the 16F628 for IC.

If you allow me, I have another doubt: With the 16F877, do I still need a dedicated MAX232 to communicate with the outside? Thing is, I need to periodically "download" the log to my computer without interrupting the data logging. I still don't know what I will choose to do that. RS232 would be the simplest, while RC would be practical.

Cheers and thanks!

Hugo Ferreira

The MAX232 converts the 5V logic of the PIC to the +12V/-12V logic of RS232, there are cruder ways to do this (by exploiting the wide range of RS232) - but the MAX232 is easily available and designed for this exact job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…