Simplest kickstart oscillator ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterens

Hi all,

I have a question here. Well, actually I want to know what I did wrong.
**broken link removed**
I have just made this schematic. It is a kickstart oscillator, which means the kickstart-pin must be high and then low to activate the oscillator.
I cannot imagine that this would work (not because I might have switched some pins of the transistor, but it is just too simple and these things are never simple), so I would like to know what it is I did wrong. I want my way-to-slow-pic to communicate over USB (I think I will use 1.0, 2 is just too fast and 3 is impossible) and I know that the speed is not the most difficult part of that (just making sure that my driver drives my device and not another is the most difficult) but still... It could be that this would work.

I would like to hear what you think about it, or what you would change.

Thanks in advance,
masteRens

Oscillators have positive feedback. They also have a capacitor or inductor for a delay.
Your circuit does not have positive feedback. It also does not have a capacitor nor a resistor.

You have the base of the transistor kicked high which causes its emitter and the input of the inverter to also go high. Then the output of the inverter tries to go low which fights the input that is high.

The opposite happens when the base of the transistor goes low.
So the circuit fights itself all the time.
It does not have positive feedback and a delay to keep it oscillating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…