simulating capacitor with multisim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark S.

hello,

I have just obtained multisim and have found it useful in testing circuits quickly . One problem at the moment though is simulating the charging of a capacitor. I am inexperienced with electronics and i would like to simulate the charging of a capacitor running in a series circuit with a resistor. I want the capacitor to have a voltmeter across it displaying the exponential increase of charge.

When i setup this circuit and power it up the voltmeter displays the full voltage almost straight away no matter what value i use for the capacitor or resistor. is there a way to simulate the circuit i described in real time displaying the sudden increase of voltage then the flatting out period.

Can anyone please offer any help?

Thanks Mark S.

You can either set the initial condition on the cap voltage to be zero volts (I don't know the exact procedure, but I'll guarantee it can be done), or you can use a PWL source that steps from zero to maximum with a very short risetime. As you have it now, the program calculates the steady-state voltage before it starts the simulation. All versions of Spice do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…