simulation software for microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
What microcontroller?
MPLAB includes MPSim for the PIC. Not much reason to use a third-party tool that I know if.

Oshonsoft is good, for what it is.

If you need to simulate real circuits around the PIC use Proteus.

I.E. If you need to simulate a PIC output driving a transistor, you will need something like Proteus.

Wilksey

Oshonsoft is good, for what it is.

If you need to simulate real circuits around the PIC use Proteus.

I.E. If you need to simulate a PIC output driving a transistor, you will need something like Proteus.

Wilksey
Does that actually model PIC pin behavior?

I had a question awhile back, about PWM'ing a MOSFET with a PIC pin. I mean, sure, if you NEED a driver, use a driver. But when do you NEED one? Mainly depends on how much current the PIC pin can drive vs the gate capacitance and frequency. But I couldn't actually find a model of PIC pin pullup/pulldown current other than the Absolute Max current in the spec sheet, which is something completely different. Couldn't find a SPICE model of a PIC pin drive.

To be honest, I haven't tried Proteus and PWM, I do have a piece of software that drives LED's from a transistor, FET i believe I used in the end, so I could try and dig it out and see the results.
I used this to sink and source the LED's to a 12v power supply.

I haven't found anything else that closely matches what Proteus can do though, if someone knows of something better than Proteus for simulating a real world circuit then i'm all ears!

I will check in work as I dont have a personal license for Proteus, but I'm sure a colleague of mine has used Proteus to simulate a PWM circuit.

Wilksey

I am surprised that you found proteus to be accurate in analog simulations.It doesnt make the cut as far as analog simulations are concerned.Nothing can beat spice for analog simulations and LTspice is a very easy interface to Spice.In order to design systems use Ltspice with the inputs simulated but if you ant to do digital simulations to check the logic of the Program/circuit, then stick with proteus.

Link for proteus

can any one give me the link for downloading free proteus software....

I'm confused. Proteus uses Spice v3.2 I think as it's backend. You put normal spice models into it.

@smanches:

Proteus also simulates popular micro controllers, including the PIC, 8501, ARM 7 with uC Linux, and ATMEL and even a 386 PC type processor.

@pvd:
Proteus is an expensive piece of software, you will not find a free version.

I'm confused. Proteus uses Spice v3.2 I think as it's backend. You put normal spice models into it.

Hi Smanches,

Proteus uses PROSPICE based on Spice3 .Now the reason i said above that i found LTspice to be more easy then proteus and accurate too was because first of all it provides an easier interface to analog analysis then Proteus.Secondly even if a device model is not present then you can change the parameters of devices easily in LTspice as compared to proteus where you would need to write code and that specific model would be specific for Prospice only it doesnt work with Pspice,Ispice or spice thereof.

Last edited:
I would have to agree that adding models and subcircuits to LTSpice is much easier than Proteus, but I wouldn't say it's less accurate than LTSpice. LTSpice has it's own extensions for switching circuits to make it faster at analyzing those, so there might be some discrepancy when comparing those types of circuits between the two.

And just to correct myself, ProSpice is based on Spice3F5, which as far as I can tell is the latest version.

I like proteus software ... as for debate going on SPICE.. Proteus uses ProSPICE. You can test that by pressing <Spacebar> in analogue circuits where you require frequency response and other graphs and proteus will plot them for you using ProSPICE at backend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…