sinewave to squarewave converter using LM311

Status
Not open for further replies.

del

Hi everyone,

Just joined.

Any suggestions on how to wire up an LM311 as a sinewave to squarewave converter. The input signal is a burst signal comprising 5 nos. ~2Vpeak-peak, 200KHz sinewaves repeated every 5msecs. Will be using a single supply of 5Vdc.

What does "5 nos." mean? 5 cycles?
What is the DC level of the signal? What is the source impedance?

Sinewave to squarewave convereter using lm311

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Rolf, I do apologize for the incorrect technical term. Yes, its 5 cycles. The input signal doesn't contain any DC level. The signal is the output from the collector of a 2N3904 small-signal amplifier circuit - not sure of the impedance.

MRCecil, could you provide links for the circuit? Would I require feedback (hysteresis)? I tried an LM311 (without hysteresis and single 5V supply) but got a lot of noise at the output and no squarewave. I have attached the implemented circuit. Simulated okay in PSpice Orcad and worked well with input from a signal generator.
Appreciate your suggestions. The input signal is a burst of 5 cycles of ~2Vp-p, 200KHz sinewaves repeated every 5msec.

del

Attachments

• LM311 comparator.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 427

hi del.
Post your spice asc file.
To stop the oscillation you need a little positive feedback fro output to non inv input, try a 100K thru 1meg

Hi everyone,

Many thanks ericgibbs for the advice.
Will include the feedbackl resistor.
How do I get the .asc file from PSpice that you requested?

del

del
u just have to make ur circuit in PSpice and save it with any name and .asc extension and attach it here....

The input signal doesn't contain any DC level. The signal is the output from the collector of a 2N3904 small-signal amplifier circuit - not sure of the impedance.
If the signal is not coupled through a blocking capacitor then it likely has a DC level, if it's coming from the collector of a transistor. If it has no DC level than the waveform will have equal excursions above and below 0V.

I don't think a Pspice file will run on LTspice.

Most will but not as a schematic. If you have a running PSpice netlist text file, you CAN run that in LTSpice about 95% of the time.

Most will but not as a schematic. If you have a running PSpice netlist text file, you CAN run that in LTSpice about 95% of the time.
I was specifically referring Samad Khan's post, which suggested that simply changing the file extension on a Pspice file would allow it to run on LTspice.

Here's an LTspice sim of my understanding of the OP's circuit.

Attachments

• Sine burst to square wave.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,461
  • LM311.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 277
  • sine burst to square wave.asc
    2.6 KB · Views: 286

Hi Del,

There are plenty of different applications shown in the National datasheet I linked.

Roff has posted a sim for the LM311 that meets your specs. I will attach another simulation using the the same circuit (a tip of the hat to Roff for supplying the .asc file), but using National's spice model for the LM393/LM2903. The only difference I can see may be an 80ns rise and fall time without any overshoot with the LM393.

Good Luck,
Merv

Attachments

• LM393 Burst Responce Sch.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,082
  • LM393 Burst Responce Plot.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 596
I am also partial to LM393, unless you need to sink more than about 4mA. I used LM311 because I thought our OP might have them in stock.

I am also partial to LM393, unless you need to sink more than about 4mA. I used LM311 because I thought our OP might have them in stock.

It will sink only 4ma? I thought it was capable of 12 or 15ma...I'll have to look that up so I don't screw up in the future.

Yes, it was good you did use the LM311 to display its capabilities, and a method of hysteresis he questioned. I found the 393 spice model several weeks ago and wanted to see how it performed in LTS.

Cheers,
Merv

LM393 worst case sink current is 4mA@700mV. Typically, it drops out of saturation at about 10-20mA.

Attachments

• LM393 saturation curves.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 701
LM393 worst case sink current is 4mA@700mV. Typically, it drops out of saturation at about 10-20mA.

Thank You! I had missed that in my latest design for a low freq input (0-1Mhz) for a freq counter preselector. I'll double check the works to ensure it's within specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…