Single Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinod_sat

Hello All,

I only have a single supply to work with. But I have AC signals that I have as inputs to operational amplifiers and comparators.

Could you please suggest how I can achieve results.

Thank you,

Vinod

If we had any idea what you are trying to do it would be much easierto help you. The general idea is to use V/2 as your reference point or pseudo-ground. Then AC couple the signals. You were going to do that anyway -- right?

Thanks for the reply and for the suggestion. I am working on an AC-DC converter and I want to sense AC current through an inductor and force the inductor current to follow a sinusoidal reference.

I would like to accomplish this using analog cicuitry. I will try to create a pseudo ground to accomplish this. Thanks again

Any opamp will work amplifying AC signals if it is capacitor-coupled and uses a filtered half-supply-voltage divider as its voltage reference like this:

Attachments

• opamps-2.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 220
Thanks for the suggestion. I have few more questions and I would be glad if you can help.

If I have few opamps and comparators that will have to be used for my open loop (say a summer, inv amp and a comparator), looks like I will have to provide a voltage reference for each and every circuit then.

What will I have to do if I use a comparator with a single supply, if I have to compare a sine wave from the output of the summer and a ramp signal.

Thanks again.

You can have a number of DC coupled opamp circuits in series with a single supply if you bias the non-inverting input of the 1st one to half the supply voltage with a resistor divider, then keep all levels within the input common-mode range of the opamps.

A comparator with a single supply can be DC coupled to the sine-wave and triangle-wave signals if they are biased properly and are also powered from the single supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…