Single V.s dual!

Status
Not open for further replies.

epilot

Hello Everybody,

I can remember some time ago when I wanted to make a circuit while I had to link two circuit together, one was a bridged dual voltage supply amplifier and the previous circuit was a single ended circuit (Sorry I am not remember what kind of circuit). I mentioned the question here but I no one gave me a perfect and pervasive response.

As a rule of thumb, is this possible to do that without any consideration to anything? I am not able to think about the wave form of the first stage and the second stage while the base voltages are different!

My opinion is that when I want to make a similar circuit I must convert the first stage to a dual supply circuit or the second stage to a single ended circuit,
But I guess I am not true

Any idea please?

It is best to have two circuits have the same power supply method if they link together. Most circuits do not need a dual supply voltage. Bridged power amps are used in cars with just a single supply voltage.

The LM1876 doesn't work very well as a bridged amplifier. Most bridged amplifiers have nearly 4 times as much power output when bridged because the voltage swing is doubled and the current is doubled. The LM1876 has only twice the power output when bridged but it gets 4 times as hot.

Here is a simple car amplifier IC that is bridged and has a single supply voltage. With a 14.4V supply its output power is 15W into 4 ohms at clipping:

Attachments

• TDA7240A.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 241
the rule of thumbs, is to keep all the Grounds tied together, otherwize, the 2 circuits cannot 'communicate' together

Then unless you're using DC signals (in which case you need an isolation amplifier) join them with an AC coupling capacitor.

not so a single amp will have a bias on the output to make linear all you need is get rid of the DC how a cap.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for your time-

Question: If I wanted to make this simple circuit to amplify a sound, would I connect the two grounds together(the one used numerous times for the resistors and capacitors etc.. and the one for the 12V power source)? How does that work.

Eventually I'm wanting to control a 24V dc motor with a basic parallax stamp which is 5V(I know I would need a driver here), but would also need a 24V power source for the motor. Is the ground from the 5V power supply connected to the ground of the 24V or do I keep these separate.

**broken link removed**

any help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…