Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

skip-resistant CD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlight35

any idea of how I can design a skip-resistant CD drive with following information?
I have:
- A CD drive that is capable of reading data twice as faster than the normal audio
sampling rate.
- A microcontroller with enough memory that reads data from the CD drive and
generates audio outputs.
Requirements:
- Describe the method of recovering intermittent read errors using a buffer memory.
- Determine the memory size and access speed to have a buffer capable of storing
10 seconds of sampled audio data.

That's why MP3 players are so popular. No skipping.

They already make skip resistant CD players, just buy one cheaper than trying to build one.

maybe hes making his own type of DJ rack system and wants it to be his own?

Dude to buffer the data just well.... buffer it lol

Read about 15-30 seconds of data then play it and while playing it read about 5 seconds of data every 3-4 seconds or something.

I have no clue about it really but that seems to make sense to me lol

As long as you can read it in equal to or faster than you are reading it out.

I was thinking a FIFO, but then it you had 10 seconds of buffer, it would take 10 seconds to start the thing (if you could read the CD as fast as the audio rate). This could be reduced if your read speed increased relative to your audio rate or if you reduced your buffer time.

Otherwise some more complicated memory scheme might be needed (ie. on power-up, start reading and playing directly and also start to fill the FIFO buffer right on power up but start filling the buffer from the +10 second mark of the song. After 10 seconds of unbuffered play on startup switch from direct read/play to buffer read/play).

Last edited:
reading data and playing music are 2 different things. You can read data way faster than playing music. So you would read 10 seconds of data in less than 1 second depending on the speed of micro.

thanks for all replies and ideas:)
AtomSoft gave me a clue about it and something came my mind.I'll write it if I can convince myself about it:)

Park some flash memory down and read the whole thing in. Read it in more than once for verification if you want. The flash that fits in a thumb drive can easily hold a CD worth. Or 2 or 3. Play it out of flash. Re-write count on flash is huge now.

Just a though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back