Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SLA Battery monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowana

I want to create a battery monitor, that will use an LED to display the voltage of a sealed lead acid battery.

The device must light a series of LEDs (or extinguish LEDs, either is OK) when the battery voltage drops below 10v (roughly). I'd like to avoid using a PIC and regulator, as I'm hoping to do this with only a few components. I'd like to avoid any ICs if possible, but if I had to I could use an op-amp.

I'm more into digital design rather than analogue, so can anyone lend a hand? Possibly something using a zener and transistor? Something along these lines: **broken link removed**

I'm thinking of using a chain of resistors to divide the voltage up, then using transistors to monitor the voltage at each point along the chain. (See attached schematic). I'm not sure that idea would work, and it would certainly use a lot of components. Can anyone think of a better way?

Andrew

Attachments

• Resistor div.jpg
    Resistor div.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Since you want a series of LEDs I would consider using the LM3914N as it will directly drive LEDs and the data sheet gives some examples. You could also run with a LM339 quad comparator and set it up to drive 4 LEDs but depending on the LEDs you will maybe need transistor drivers for the LEDs off the comparator. I would run the comparator off a 5 volt regulator and divide the battery voltage at the inputs. This link gives a good overview of comparator circuits.

You could use the transistor circuit but again I would use a 5 or 9 volt regulator and divide since using the straight 12 volts will shift the divider outputs as the battery drops in voltage supplied.
Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, Ron. To make the board as small as possible (it will be surface mount), Ideally I'd like to stay away from ICs. Any ideas on how something like **broken link removed** may work?

It's still a lot of resistors, but I think I'm going to go with the TL431 voltage monitor IC. Using four resistors and a SOT-89 package per LED (so each battery monitoring board will have 12 0805 resistors and and three 0805 LEDs), I will have a very good idea of the condition of each battery.

TL431 Battery Voltage Monitor - Storage

Andrew

That should be a good solution.

Ron

Hi cowana,

if you like it please PM me for the Eagle files.

All resistors and LEDs are 0805.

Board size is 23.0981X12.5413mm (0.90937X0.49375")

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• SLA-MONITOR-SCH.gif
    SLA-MONITOR-SCH.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 723
  • SLA-MONITOR-BRD.gif
    SLA-MONITOR-BRD.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Nice solution Hans.

Ron