Sloooowww computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pommie said:
The reason I asked about running it without the battery is in case allowing it to fully discharge somehow caused an internal short therefore causing excess heating.

Mike.
The battery died because I left it on the charger, before finding out that was a no-no.
I guess I should try your idea, to eliminate it as a possibility, or to verify that's the cause.

Last edited:
Krumlink said:
Is it perhaps time to upgrade? You can get a pretty good setup for under 1k.
I'm writing this on a Dell that's about a year old, and I think I paid about $650 for it. It works great. I can't justify buying another laptop. If the old one dies, we'll share this one.
Besides, I had a heckuva time finding one with XP on it. I read something about getting a business system with XP on it. Anybody know if it's possible?

Last edited:

Yup. Dell sells 'em. You can get XP Home, Pro, etc. I'd go with Pro.

An operating system hasn't made me physically angry in a long, long time. Vista managed it within a week of normal usage. (Note: what I call "normal" may not, in fact, be normal).

Torben

This might be a long shot Roff! but have you checked how much ram you have available?

and have you checked your bios to see if the CPU is running at its normal ghz and ram?

some computer have an overclocking option in the bios, that may have changed by itself some how?

just throwing it out there so it can be ruled out.

Last edited:

It's worth checking. One idea (perhaps it seems a bit out there, but what the hell): If a RAM chip has gone or become unseated, perhaps the thing is having to hit swap sooner than before. Have you tested the RAM?

Torben

[Edit: Shane also explained better than my earlier post about checking the BIOS.]

I think the fan may just need a smidgen of oil. Pop the nameplate/sticker and rubber stopper off the rotor (if it is built that way) and lubricate with 3-in-1 or, even better, mineral oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…