Small outdoor camera with motion sensor trip and cell upload for pic's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkstolberg

I am looking to buy or have built a small camera to be placed out doors on game trails. I need the camera to have a good motion sensor trip and be able to automatically send the pictures to a laptop or cell phone. Any ideas if this product already exists? Or if someone or company could build me a half dozen or so? What would the cost be for something like this? Any help or links would be great, thanks. Mark

You were doing OK till the automatically send part. The problem being distance.

You can buy cameras with auto shutter devices that use a PIR (motion) sensor and do shutter release. That part is easy. The cost is a function of the camera's quality. The low end cheap digital cameras don't generally have the feature of external shutter release, they also do not provide great images. Then for placing on a game trail there is the matter of weather protection involved. This will all come down to you get what you pay for. There are plenty of units out there that will do exactly as you want less the auto sending (transmitting) the image over any great distance.

Ron

Something like this?
**broken link removed**

Try googling for 'wireless nature camera' or similar phrases.

Alec

Hey thanks guys that is helpful. I looked at the link and thats virtually perfect. Any ideas as to how to get the send to cell phone option rolling? I am willing to pay someone to set it up. Are there other websites that you could suggest for information. Are there "project" guys I could contact to contract out the task?

You do understand the camera in the link does not take still images but streams video correct? Additionally although the range is shown as "Wireless receiver with 50m max distance" that thick brush or other obstructions will severely limit that range. The receiver pretty much needs to "see" the camera in a straight line of sight that should be unobstructed. Then there is the matter of power. Both units (camera and receiver) are powered by AC mains (they need to be plugged in to a power source). With cameras of this type they don't always offer good resolution. They offer a small box on a computer screen of streaming video (and sound). If the video is enlarged to a full screen much of the detail is lost. These are not like the wireless cameras we see used in major sporting events we see on TV.

This camera offers up 5 mega pixel quality and will record videos or still images. However, like most you need to remove the memory card to load the images it has taken onto a computer. Just as an example.

My initial thinking was you wanted to set up a camera to take still shots of game (or whatever) and use a PIR (Passive Infra-Red) sensor to trigger the camera much as back yard security light sensors work. There are cameras like this that take still images, however, I am not aware of any that after taking an image will automatically send the image to a cell phone or laptop computer.

Ron

Last edited:
THANKS again Ron! Actually you are right I want stills, not streaming video. Infrared trip is fine, just like a back yard light. But I need that pop and send feature...hmmm. Any ideas where I could outsource this project to get the pics to send option. I would be willing to attach a cell phone to the site/item. Gotta be someone who would build this for cash or ammend an existing item...

I think this should do what your looking for.

**broken link removed**

If you search for 'MMS CAMERA' you should find a few examples of what your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…