Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small Voltage control

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceofharts

I am wiring something for a show I am doing. It involves a battery circuit with two D batteries and I would like to be able to increment the output down slowly. I have tried a couple potentiometers that I had here at my house (from when I was in electronics classes 15 years ago) but I believe they aren't meant to work with such small voltage. They don't really increment as much as they basically turn it on and off. Is there a potentiometer that will do what I want in this circuit? If so, how do I select the right one?

The pot resistance you are using is too high. Likely, you effective load resistance is a few Ohms, and you are using 10K or higher pots.

Determine effective load resistance you are trying to drive. Make the rheostat (pot) resistance about 2 to 5 times higher than that.

Suppose you have a 1.5V motor that draws 0.25A when it is running. That means its effective resistance is E/I = 1.5/0.25 = 6Ω. To vary the speed of this motor, it would take rheostat of ~20Ωmax. When the rheostat is set to ~6Ω, the motor would run at half speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back