Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smart sensors network with CAN bus protocol and 14 bit ADC - select the board???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakam

Hello,

I'm trying to plan a new network of 'smart sensors'. It is a homemade project (I'm not an electronic expert, but let me try) for monitoring and controlling of a small production line.
These smart sensors (sensor + local microcontroller) will be used to measure mainly strain, pressure and temperatures. They will be connected to a central PC and to a couple of displays.
The sensing devices are already done but they are not 'smart'. I have to turn it smart (each one with the microcontroller and networkable). Basically, I guess that I will need a set of boards with the microcontroller, ADC and a network interface to connect (in series) the various devices.
Concerning the network, it can have up to 500m length, and each smart sensor (20 in the total) needs a different address. CAN bus protocol seems to be proper to these kind of application.
In my calculations I'll need 14 bit ADC to achieve a good resolution (similar to the present one).
First, I though in Arduino to perform this project. However it has network and ADC resolution limitations. I don’t know if it would be possible to attach the ADC and the CAN bus to a normal Arduino.
I would like to know your opinion about my projecto.
Can it be viable to implement these two features in the Arduino? Or Arduino is limited to my application.
Can you recommend me the best board with microcontroller and analog input filing my goals? It should be low cost and easy to program.

Thanks in advice if any of you can help me with your know-how.

Regards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back