Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smoothing capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Pollock

Hi,
I'm using a transformer to lower UK mains electricity from 230Vac (50Hz) to 12Vac. I have got a rectifier (KBPC104) and will be using this to get around 12Vdc.

I would like to implement some smoothing to have a more constant dc supply. My load on the circuit I will be powering will be variable but will not exceed 1A. What value and type of capacitor should I use? How do I work this out for myself in the future.

I attached a drawing to help show my question.

Attachments

• rectifier with zener output voltage regulator.bmp
    53.7 KB · Views: 152
They said a college 1 amp per 1000u as a rough rule of thumb, I'd be inclined to put one in as big as I could fit or want to pay for, do you have any lying around?

You need to be FAR more specific about your exact load - and throw away that absolutely appalling diagram, it's worse than useless.
Well that appalling diagram is all I have at the moment... But the circuit that I wish to power contains a motor (4.5V to 12V), a high op LEDagain 12V. The motor will be controlled by a pot. I really just need to try and find out the value of the capacitor that might hold the voltage to anything between 10.5V to 11.75V. Still at the ballpark stage here - naturally I will be refining everything as I go along but got to start some where.

They said a college 1 amp per 1000u as a rough rule of thumb, I'd be inclined to put one in as big as I could fit or want to pay for, do you have any lying around?
Probably got loads of capacitors that would do the trick - a lot of my design will rely on trial and error. Thanks for the possible answer - ill give it a try and see what happens.

Well specify your exact loading and how much ripple you are willing to tolerate and then choose the Farads around that (maybe L-R and some inrush control *IF* it gets large)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back